Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Fawn decoy

Old 01-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fawn decoy

Have any of you guys used a fawn decoy with fawn distress call during the winter ( Snow) ?

How well do coyotes respond to this set up being that there are no fawns in the winter?

I have no experience hunting predators. I have an area that I deer hunt and there is coyote sign everywhere. Lots of tracks and scat. There isn't much in the way of small game there.I'm thinking they eat quite a few fawns during the summer.

I would like to try my hand at calling a few in. Will the fawn decoy and call work with the snow on?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fawn decoy

Anyone?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fawn decoy

sure it will windwalker7. coyotes are opertunistist. if they hear something in destress, its like the dinner bell ringing and they dont care what is on the menu. i would put the decoy out in the most visable spot open and set behind it in the cover. call using your fawn bleat. maybe throw a howl in there one or twice and u have a setup ayote wolnt be able to pass up. i have used a coyote pup in destress and called them in in the winter , and there are no pups till spring.i have called in coyotes with a jackrebbit call and there are no jack rebbits even in the state.all you are doing is playing on their instincts. and as said before. they are opertunistic; if it sounds hurt all he is thinking is an easy meal. the fawn bleat will work fine im sure. maybe even better than a rabbit in destress because most people callin yotes are using the rabbit and the coyotes are weary to come in but no one uses fawn bleats. let us know how it goes.good luck
AND KEEP THE FUR ON THE TAIL GATE!!!
Jeff Smith