Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Suburban yote!!!

Old 12-21-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Suburban yote!!!

This morning I stayed home from school because I wasn't feeling good. And I'm sure glad I did. Because as I was eating breakfast I was looking into the small patch of woods behind my house and I spotted a huge yote walking up. So I got appropriate clothing on to go outside and walked up to the woods to try to get another look. As I walked up I noticed several other tracks going up and down from where he came. So I'me guessing that he's been going up there recently. But when I got up in the small patch of woods I spotted him down behind my neighbors house and he spotted me and took off. ANd I always wanted a nice coyote pelt. So what do you think I should do. I live in norht hills of pittsburgh pad. I have a few trapps I could set out. I'm just worried about catching the neighbors cat or some thing. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appriciated. Thanx
Old 12-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Suburban yote!!!

I'm not a hardcore coyote trapper, but in my experience,most setsonthe edge of a suburban area that will catch a coyote will also likely catch a cat or dog. If the latter aren't a concern, you might adjust your trap pan so that it takes almost the fullweight of a full-grow coyote to trip it, but cats generally wouldn't. Also, if dogs aren;t a concern, you might try a post set baited with coyote or fox urine. That would be less likely to attract cats.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:32 PM

first and foremost...is it legal to trap in your city limits? fire a weapon? wouldn't want to be caught disobeying the laws. also, is yote in season and if so do you have/need a license?

from there, i have no idea what the setup is like. would neighbors notice a trap in your backyard or are there fences separating properties? otherwise, like lanse mentioned, try adjusting the pan weight.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:27 PM

In a lot of towns its still legal to fire a bow. You may have good luck calling him with a rabbit distress and sticking him with an arrow. Who owns the property? is it just part of the sub-divison or do you need permission?
I don't want you to trespass or anything.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

If you're gonna trap him in Pa you need a furtaker's liscense. But if you just want to shoot him you don't
Old 12-24-2005, 11:11 AM

I have used my bow in a very similar situation and called them in done deal. Like mentioned already I was able to use my bow for this within city limits but anything above 30lbs draw is considered a deadly weapon here so I had to turn the draw weight down. I only know this law because we go to the local marina to shoot carp in the summer (also in city limits) Check to see what the laws are!!!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Spike

as above stated pick up archery. i bow hunt yotes in our neighborhoods all the time. im actually building a good reputation with the local laws and community folks. its a sad thing when little doggies and kitties go missing. but its an opportunity for me to practice.

check your local laws... b/c you will get the law called on you. walking around in camo and archery equipment will get that 911 button ringing...