Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17 cal. for coyote?

Old 12-18-2005, 10:09 AM

Default .17 cal. for coyote?

I just recently purchased a .17 HMR and i was wondering what the gun willl take down. And if it would easily kill a Pa coyote.

please respond
Old 12-18-2005, 10:34 AM

Default RE: .17 cal. for coyote?

I am not sure of hide thickness in PA. Out here in Cali, towards the central coast, the hides even in winter are less thick then say a colder climate would have. I own a Ruger .17 HMR and have taken a few yotes with the firecracker of a caliber but I have kept my shots under 120 yards. I will not rely on the .17 HMR to take down a full size yote past that for that is a risk I do not take. If you can almost guarantee, which is unlikely, no problems with windage, drop, shift, human error, and accurate yard measurment, then it is possible, under the distance I said before. Now, with my .308 or .338, thats a different story. My advice, try to call them in as close as your are comfortable, and always take head shots with the .17 HMR. Works for me if it is within the 120 yard realm.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:14 AM

That's very sound advice. I have hunted coyotes in NY, and the hides are thick. I also shoot a Hummer and would not be confident in it past 100 yards on a coyote. Definately sticking to head shots when you can.

It all depends on your distance, how well you know where your rifle is hitting, and your ability to put a bullet where you intend it to strike. Practice with your rifle and always know where it's hitting at various distances.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've got a Marlin .17 with a bull barrel and very nice Nikkon scope. I've knocked a crow out of a tree top at about 230 yards withit. So, under the right conditions, one should be able toscore head shots on coyotes at that distance. My concern would be whether the bullet would have enough juice to penetrate the skull at that range. As for body shots, I would be leery about trying anything over the 100-120 yard range unless you are an excellent tracker.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I've got a Marlin .17 with a bull barrel and very nice Nikkon scope. I've knocked a crow out of a tree top at about 230 yards withit. So, under the right conditions, one should be able toscore head shots on coyotes at that distance. My concern would be whether the bullet would have enough juice to penetrate the skull at that range. As for body shots, I would be leery about trying anything over the 100-120 yard range unless you are an excellent tracker.

My thoughts exactly.....great fox rifle though.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Thanks a lot for all of the advice. I really appriciate!
Old 12-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you're an excellent tracker with snow on the ground, as the blood trail will be scant at best!! I keep hearing about "head shots"! The coyotes I call in don't stand around much, so I have a hard time beleiveing that there are that many guys that can pull off "head shots" ona regular basis. And why carry a rifle that "limits" you to about 100 yards, and even then it's iffy. Why not use something that you can take the shot when the shot presents itself, pick up the fur ball and go to the next spot!!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

The area of Illinois where I hunt is pretty thickly populated. The .17 seems like a good versatile choice for someone looking to drop everything from squirrels, to crows,to coyotes, with more of an emphasis on crows. Shooting a centerfire cartridge can cause problems and is damned epxensive unless one is a handloader. Also, shooting something like a coyote or fox with a 25-06 (my dream gun) tends to produce a mangled fur ball that would not interest a fur buyer. But, that's justmy perspective.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

Unless you're an excellent tracker with snow on the ground, as the blood trail will be scant at best!! I keep hearing about "head shots"! The coyotes I call in don't stand around much, so I have a hard time beleiveing that there are that many guys that can pull off "head shots" on a regular basis. And why carry a rifle that "limits" you to about 100 yards, and even then it's iffy. Why not use something that you can take the shot when the shot presents itself, pick up the fur ball and go to the next spot!!

I use head shots with the .17HMR only when i have the .17 with me at one time. I do pull off head shots with both my .17 and .308, and have no problem with pulling them off on a regular basis. I prefer my .308 for my normal yote gun, but like I said there has been times where I had only the .17. I do not take body shots with the .17, only with the .308. And as you said " Why carry a rifle that limits a 100 yard shot", sometimes that maybe the only gun a person purchased, had that day, or preferred was the tool that was available to him/her. For me, its not my first choice by far in a normal yote gun. And again, head shots can be preformed on a regular basis if needed as for the caliber of the gun. I don't think I have ever had a problem not having head shots taken on a normal basis.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:47 PM

I don't know anything about the 17. My opinion is I would question if there is enough gun there. Mathematically the 17 is nearly 25% less than a 22 calliber.

Quick Reply: .17 cal. for coyote?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.