Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

rabbit hunting question

Old 11-11-2005, 02:17 PM

Default rabbit hunting question

Im just starting out rabbit hunting and I was wondering were on a property is the best place to find rabbits. What food source would they be near to, and what time of day is the best time to hunt them?

thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: rabbit hunting question

ORIGINAL: Aperez21

Im just starting out rabbit hunting and I was wondering were on a property is the best place to find rabbits. What food source would they be near to, and what time of day is the best time to hunt them?

thanks

In tall grass fields, but it's hard to find themwithout a good dog.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:48 PM

aperez21... i not sure what area or stateyou are hunting. but in northern Pa. we hunt mostly in the flats. rabbits love apples try tofind some apple trees along the creek bottoms and you will have some fun. old builtings anddumpsalso seem to draw quite a few. find a place with allof theseand you will have a honey hole. we mow trails down threw the flats here torun the dogson. the rabbits love to run these. a bonus of mowing trails is that it also draws deer to the area. hope this gives you some ideas to think about in your area. remember that rabbits seem to populate in cycles some years they are everywhere other years there are very few.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:38 PM

I hunt rabbits at around 9000 ft. in the mountains. I usually find them around the bases of large boulders. They seem to like any rocky cover large or small. Also underneith large pine trees where they can get out of the couple of feet of snow. I find the more snow the more rabbits. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 PM

brush piles or old fallen down buildings and tall thick grass are the best places in my experiences at least