Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote delema (help)

Old 10-25-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Coyote delema (help)

Hi my name is Adam I live in the Appellation mountains of Pennsylvania. My friend and I have been trying for about a year to bag a coyote. No luck.
We Have a spot where we like to sit. We are on a bit of a hill, somewhat thick woods. We set right off an old logging path. In the winter we were walking on this path and came
across a great number of coyote tracks. Guessing there were about 8 or 9 different tracks leading to this road. So I guess we found a hot spot? Well we decided to track one and
find its den. There were 2 coyotes that we were fallowing. About 2 hours of walking through thick brush brought us to some big boulders and rock formations. I'm not sure if it was
the den or not but the tracks went to a hole under a rock. It was way to thick to reach the hole. So we headed back to the car. We hunted off that logging road a few times no luck.
We use raccoon urine as cover cent. I use a Remington Rabbit distress call, and I also have a CD with rabbit distress. No luck there. We try to bait them with dead squirrels and any
kills from prier hunts we did not want, no luck. My friend shines the spotlight almost every 5 min (with out a red lens) I cant find one for my spotlight. I think he is scaring away the dogs?
He uses a 300 savage, is that over kill? I bring different guns every time depending on where we go. I have a .222 with scope, open site 30-30 , and I am thinking on bringing my
20 gauge over under with a .22mag on top. What would you recommend? I use my .222 in fields and 30-30 in the woods, the 20 gauge I never took out yet. What kind of shot shouldI use?I have a lot of 6, but should I use Buck Shot ora slug?
You may be laughing at our inexperience, but one day we just said lets get a coyote. We have no knowledge on how to get one. Just our deer hunting skills, and coyote are
much brighter then a doe. Please give me some Tips on how to get a coyote. If not please tell us what we are doing wrong?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coyote delema (help)

In my experience, the quickest way to kill a coyote is to hunt over a fresh gut pile. During deer season, the crows will usually come to the pile first, the coyotes hear the racket and come running. I have also used a rabbit in distress call with some luck, but in my area the fresh gut pile rules.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

I also use a .222. Best all around varmint gun in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

If your not particular about how you get them, consider traps or snares (if legal there). If they are heavily called there, you will need to try a differant sound. Go to the autoparts store and get a roll of the transparent, red tape they sell as a temporary fix for broken tail lights. Try that over the lens of your spot light. Watch the wind and try to set up where you can see, but they can't circle around down wind of you. Keep your motion to a minimum. Consider getting the sound away from you if. A decoy may help if they are hesitant. One or two coyotes can leave alot of tracks, but if habitat is good they will be there.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like you've found a den , is there a spot where you can set up and cover the den unobserved ? If so , set up and wait for the 'yote to return . It will most likely be a female , take her out the minute she reaches the den , then see if there are pups inside .
Old 10-26-2005, 08:49 AM

Hey thanks for the info. Me and my friend just picked up 2 dead deer off the road and stuck them in the woods... he took his knofe and split it up the belly. WOW the smell was nasty (it would make a maggot gag)
so i hope that will bate them in tonight.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:05 AM

Those deer wernt toutched by anything?
but its been cold and rainy the past few days and the wind has been blowing in the oposite direction to the den...
we sat out but got nothen. Does it matter what kind of night it is or weather? Will they come out in cold wet windy nights? or just clear nights?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:48 PM

keep hunting in different spots not over calling one area, use some pup distress or territorial coyote calls during the puping season,instead of just rabbit, i dont think they move in the rain that well but i do know they will move in the cold
Old 11-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless the snow that you found all the tracks in was really fresh, I'll bet that thereweren't as many coyotes making those tracks as you think there were. One coyote can make a lot of tracks in an area. Also,the hole that you found by following the tracks, may or may not be a den, BUT this time of year, coyotes don't necassarily return to a den daily. And depending on how large the territory is that the coyotes live in, they may not be in that same area daily. SO, your "bait" deer may not be found for several days. Once they find them, they will eat them quickly, with in a couple of days easily, and quicker if there are several coyotes.
The clear lense on your spot light won't scare coyotes, unless you shine it directly on them, and even then, some coyotes won't be scared off by the light. When spot lighting them, try to keep the light above them, just so you can see the reflection of thier eyes.
If you haven't called them in and educated them, you can keep using any call to call them. Once you call them in a time or two, and they learn that the sound you are making means danger, then you will need to change calling location and/or sounds.
The best way to see truely how many coyotes there are and where they are is to get out there directly after a fresh snow, but even then, a coyote or two can leave a lot of tracks in a small area very quickly!