Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

mini 14?

Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM

Default mini 14?

is the mini 14 any goon? i am looken at getten one but i dident know if they r any good.

i am goen to be varmint hunting with it, ground hogs fox and cyote stuff like that.

i have herd that they r not very accerit but i dont think i will realy notice becaue i have only shoot rimfire rifles.
so what do u all think.

and the one i am looken at is used and cost about 275to300.

and is the mini 30s any good?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mini 14?

I have not owned a Ruger Mini 14 or 30. I do know people that own them. I have shot them. They are pretty tough and can take a good beating. For a truck gun, they work quite well. I know ranchers use them to keep coyotes and other varmints out of their fields when the opportunities present themselves. Accurate, not that I have seen, but I am sure you could find one that is. Of course, I think 2" at 100 yards is about as good as they will do, but don't expect them to touch holes unless you really put some work into them.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a mini-14. They aren't good for much and I wasn't impressed with it. Get a good .22 mag ora bolt action .223.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:41 PM

for $300.00 you most likely will get one of the older ones and they did not shoot to well. but ruger has listened to the buyers and has made some nice improvements on the newer models. ones built in the last 3 or 4 years shoot much better. i have one that will shoot three groups at 200 yards most all day long. unless you get carried away and start shooting as fast as the gun will shoot then it will overheat. for coyotes within a couple of hundreds it will put a real hurting on them. there are better rifles for this use but the mini would work fine if that is what you have. mine has never misfired or jammed even with cheap ammo. it is one of the most dependable semi-auto rifles that i have ever seen. it always fires.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 PM

yea if they have a bolt action 233 i will pry get that just so i not getten triger happy with it. but the mini looks cool i think i am pry goen to be talken to the guy there and c what he thinks is best for me. thanks fer all the help people.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The mini-14 is a fine weapon. You won't be driving tacks with it, but it's accurate enough. By this I mean that you will be in the kill zone at 100 yards if you can shoot well. The cool thing is that they have tons of aftermarket goodies for them. I put a bullpup stock on mine and it was a blast to shoot. It didn't make it anymore accurate, but it was fun. There are some other not so expensive things you can do to improve accuracy, but 2" groups at 100 yards is about as good as most people can shoot without a bench anyway. I would think $250 to $275 is as cheap as you will see one in decent condition.

Never fired a mini 30, so I can't say.