Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

low coon prices?

Old 10-03-2005, 09:44 AM

Default low coon prices?

i heard around that the coon prices this year could be as low as $3 for x-large coon and down to $1 for normal. the reason that they are so low this year becuase i guess there are over 10,000 coon still left in USA not sold. i guess that russia had a mild winter last year and they didnt buy hardly anthing from us here in the US. please tell me that i was drunk or something when i heard this becuase i do not want to be payin for gas with prices this low. it looks like yotes are gonna be my money maker this year. thanks.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: low coon prices?

Man I shore hope that aint true! Its corn around all my good spots this year and the dogs are lookin good!!!
I havent heard anything about that but that dont mean it aint true. Hell, it was at a high last year compared to what it has been. $12 for jumbo. God I hope it dont fall that much this year!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Well, its the same old crap everyear for me. Before season, what few fur buyers we have makea big hype about how fur prices will be up this year, coons $8-$12 (which is good for Arknasas), coyote $10-$15, then after I get my freezer full of fur, they aren't worth $2 0r $3 a piece. Its been like this everyyear for me for the last 5 or 6 years. Oh well, its still fun.

BTW, After I heard what coyote and coons were bringing last year, I didn't even bother taking mine, not even worth the gas to take them. I won't be skinning any coyotes this year for sure!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 AM

Crazy how thigs drop that bad. Too bad. I am just starting to trap starting with beavers I hope.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:55 PM

I've heard 10-12 tops for coon[:@]but thankfully beavers and muskrat are climbing. This year I think I will center on Beavers and muskrat

good luck

take-em
Old 10-24-2005, 09:55 AM

It's a damned shame that fur prices are so depressed. As a poor farmboy in the '60's, I came away with many a slick new toy (guns, bows, dirt bikes, saddles, boats) from money earned trapping and especially coonhunting. There is no finer way for a young rural man who is feeling his oats to get his kicks that to spend the night running through the deep woods, swamps and river bottoms chasing the ghostly sound of a pack of coonhounds on a hot trail, by the light of a carbide headlamp. I sure hope this ridiculous attitude toward wearing fur has run it's course.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:00 PM

I hear ya! Remember during the fur boom of the 70's early 80's when we was gettin $40 coon and $70 fox? Of course we paid the price of trap thieves and HEAVY compitition.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:23 PM

That is a bummer I made a little moneyu of coons and coyotes last year, but I'll still shoot them and skin them jsut for the fun even if the money isn't great. Besides the coyotes are wrecking havok on the rabbit population where I hunt.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:23 AM

coons are bringing about 15 in VA thats about it butt otters here bring 95 100 a piece and beavers are bringng about 85 so i hope i catch a few otters this year...
Old 11-18-2005, 04:32 PM

About 15 years ago a friend of mine got me out trapping.Anyway,the first year I was getting 20$+ for a coon wasn't bad.The next season I got 50cents to a dollar for one.I haven't trapped since.