Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Best predator call

Old 09-25-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Best predator call

What is the best dying rabbit/rabbit in distress call. I am using it for bears and coyotes.

I have a Flextone Dying Rabbit call, but it sounds bad sometimes. For those of u who dont know what it is, it has a rubber end where the sound comes out so u can squeeze it closed to muffle the call and make it lower to coax predators, and just leave it open for long distance calling. When i just leave it open though it doesnt sound at all like it does when i close the end.I listened to what the call should sound like and that what it sounds like when i close the end. The long distance calling almost sounds like a duck that squeels sometimes. Are there better calls out there or is that what its supposed to sound like?
Old 09-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best predator call

What is the best dying rabbit/rabbit in distress call.
There is no such thing!! Honestly, if you were to ask 100 different die hard predator hunters this question, you' get about 100 different answers. The best call on the market, is the one that is working to bring in predators. One day it may be one call, a week later it may be a differant call.
This is such an array of differant calls on the market, all of which will work sometimes, and most will work most of the times, if the caller simply puts emotion into his calling.
Also, a caller needs to take into account what it is that the predators normally feed on in his/her area, and usually, that is what you want to mimic. This is not to say that a jack rabbit sounding distress won't call a coyote, or bear, where there are no jack rabbits. BUT it stands to reason that if a predator has had experience with hearing a dying cottontail, then from then on, it will respond to that sound with " a free lunch" on it's mind. How ever, if a predator hears a sound that it has never heard before, it may very well respond because of curisoty.
After all of that, some of my favorites are the Verminator Tweety and Physco Tweety, Tally Ho, Cronk Killer Jr., and a few of my own custom calls that I hae built and decided to keep, most of which all open reed calls!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:39 PM

I shouldnt have said which is the best predator call, i didnt mean to confuse people. What I should have said is "what dying/rabbit in distress call do you think sounds the best. Which brand or which one would you recommend?"

sorry for the confusion
Old 09-27-2005, 06:12 PM

I've pretty much gone to all custom made calls, but a couple good brands are Circe and Quakerboy... find a shop that stocks them and try'em before you buy'em...
Old 10-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Spike

Currently I'm using the Primos cottontail distress call with the flexible plastic piece to vary pitch and it sounds great, very versatile. I also like the Sceerys.