Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

worst tasting meat

Old 08-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: worst tasting meat

Yeah, muskrat is usually pretty good, as is beaver. Generally I expect it is more about our preconceptions about he critter and how it is cooked.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Spike

Javelina!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:57 PM

Just wondering I have only had geese and duck in a slow roast type stew and I liked it a lot. That is one reason I am taking it up this year. I am just wondering can you smoked any of these birds? I have a nice smoker that fits a lot of meat so I was thinking of giving it a try.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:16 PM

A good recipe that i found for duck was cut it into bite size pieces and put some corn meal and a lot of salt a pepper and put in a deep fryer and then put seasoning salt on them. It taste just like cube steak to me.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:16 PM

At first I was going to say all wild game because no matter how my mom or I tried cooking them, they always tasted horrible. However, it all is in how you cook them. A friend cooked up some pheasants I shot, cut them up in squares and wrapped them in bacon and man it was better than chicken. Another friend smoked up some ducks and they weren't too bad although i'll admit I still don't like duck and geese too much. You guys probably won't consider this meat although I guess it is, the worst meat i've had was SALMON... blech.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

I don't hunt waterfowl, but have had ducks and geese given to me that were excellant. A friend has a passion for geese. He cooks them in every way imaginable and even makes jerky out of some with good results (says cranes also make good jerky). It can also be ground and seasoned as a sausage.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gentlemen ..........Ill eat anything.........soldiering. Its all in the preparation as some have stated
Old 09-25-2005, 11:31 PM

Besides the prep work in an animal, it depends on how old the animal is and what it has been eating. I used to hate rabbit,but discovered if I shot them in the fall when its mostly young ones that have never ate anything but fresh greens and such they are darn good. Same with spruce hen (dark meated grouse). with either of these two as an example if you shoot them in the winter they taste just like a pine tree.

Still havnt figured out when waterfowl tastes the best LOL! the best time for harvesting them is never Haha ANother animal that is really rank if you shoot it at the wrong time of year is Bull Caribou during the rut. Those things are hopeless if you get one that is all stunk up.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:06 AM

I think duck is good....it also makes really good jerky.....one of my buddies dad cooked up this porcupine that he got and had me try some, but i could just not get it in my mouth.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

The worst for me was Javalina. A buddy of mine brought some back from a Texas hunt, thought since it looked like a little hog it might taste like pork, WRONG!!!

Quick Reply: worst tasting meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.