Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Mossberg 835 ULTI-MAG

Old 08-09-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Mossberg 835 ULTI-MAG

I have a Mossberg 835 ULTI-MAG 12 GA. pumpgun. It can take 2-3/4'',3'',3-1/2'' shells, and has a overbored and ported barrel and it has a accu-mag choke tube that can fire lead and steel and other non toxic loads. I was wondering what would be a good squirrel and rabbit load with this gun that wouldn't be over kill.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg 835 ULTI-MAG

I have the same gun, for squirrel and rabbits i use 2 3/4 inch shells with 1oz to 1 1/8 oz of #5, #6, or #7.5 size shot.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:35 AM

you both have the same gun. I also had one( you notice HAD one).

have you ever had any problems with it not reloading a shell into the barrel when you ejected the empty?

mine did it all the time. I would pull the trigger on an empty gun.[:@]just wondering if either of you had a problem.

I sent it back to the factory two times and both times they said they found and fixed the problem and it still did it after the second time.

I finally got rid of it. went to back to my BPS 3" and just got on with hunting.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:10 AM

that did happen to me once, but it never happened again so i dont know besides that i havent had any troubles with it
Old 08-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have the 835 as well. It wouldn't extract 3" shells the first time I took it out, but sent it back the problem was solved. I haven't tried 3.5", yet.

I agree w/ HighDesert on shell selection. I usually buy a case of #7.5 & a case of #5 or #6 each year at Wally World and that carries me through all the bird & rabbit seasons.

Spud
Old 08-13-2005, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

you both have the same gun. I also had one( you notice HAD one).

have you ever had any problems with it not reloading a shell into the barrel when you ejected the empty?

mine did it all the time. I would pull the trigger on an empty gun.[:@]just wondering if either of you had a problem.

I sent it back to the factory two times and both times they said they found and fixed the problem and it still did it after the second time.

I finally got rid of it. went to back to my BPS 3" and just got on with hunting.

never had that problem, but did have two problems neither were the guns fault. the first was when id eject an empty 3.5 inch hull the crimp end of the shell would hit the the edge of the ejection port causing the shell to fall back in the gun with a fresh load if I wasn't paying attention and rack the the next shell it would jam. The problem was federalhulls when they cut theirhulls they made them a little long, now I stay away from federal 3.5 inch shells and havent had that problem since.

The other problem i had was due to over lubrication and below freezing tempatures. the shell stop in the reciever just in front of the magazine tube which is there to keep the gun from allowing more then one shell in the loading ramp each time you pump the action, I over lubricated it with a tempature sensitive oil ( now i use only dry lube) in the cold weather the shell stop got stuck in the open position when I racked in my second shot, it spit my 3rd shell on the ground.[:@]but I didnt realizes it untill after I attempted to rack in my 3 rd shell and i pulled the trigger 'click'!![:@]I looked down saw a hole in the snow i reach in the hole and there was my shell.

I know alot of people have this opinion about mossbergs being junk, you cant tell that to me though!! I own mostly mossberg shotguns and havehad 2 of them foralmost 10years and one of thosewas my dads and its over 20 years old,I have a couple remington semi autos a 1100 and 11-87 which bothof thosehave had more down time then any ofmy mossbergsbuts thats because they are gas operated and its expected for gas rings to go bad, but as for my mossbergs the only down time i have ever experience with any of them was wearing out magazine springs. 10 times out of 10 when heading out to the duckblind I have a mossberg with me. those remingtons usually only sit pretty in the safe or are out on the line for a day at the trap range.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:29 AM

I also have the same gun and have not had any problems with it,and I use federal shells for almost everything.With the 3 and 3.5's you have to pump it like you mean it though.Iwould use federal no. 5's.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my 835 the month they made their big debut. I've only had one slight problem with it sometimes doubling up on 3.5" shells. Other than that I'm absolutely in love with the gun and I've never used another.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:24 AM

HAD a 835 it wouldn't do any thing right. I hated that gun. It wouldn't pick up the second round on any brand of 3.5" shell, It would fall out the bottom.I was always popping an empty chamber. Call in a flock of geese get one good shot, the second would fall in the water, third shot was a wing in prayer as they were flying away. My buudy had one also they both shot 20" low at 30 yards. JMO [:@]
I'll stick with my Remingtons.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

HIGHDESERTWolf. you tell em..mossberg all the way