Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg 835 ULTI-MAG

Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Mossberg 835 ULTI-MAG

Does anyone here have a mossberg and how do u like it, i love mine better then the citory i have. Any tips on wat ammo works best and so on.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:13 PM

Default RE: Mossberg 835 ULTI-MAG

O yeah does any one have the problem of the problem of it getting to hot cuz mine gets mighty hot.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:04 PM

dont have an 835 but have owned and own a couple model 500's....I don't care what anyone says...i like mossbergs....cheap...ugly and in my expirence reliable and if something ever happens to one...so what, its a 200 dollar gun....not like that citori huh? the thing i like the best though is the safety in my opinion they all should be like that.....if i had to do it all over again....id get that steady grip benelli for a turkey gun....but thats cuz i make more money now and can piss a little more away on gun stuff. but back when i was buying a turkey gun the 835 was my first choice...only losing out to a winchester 1300.......cuz i wanted something i didnt have (a winchester shotgun)
Old 08-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Went trap shooting Saturday. We had an 870 mag, 870 turkey special, Nova, Benelli semi-auto and my 835 all in different camo patterns.What a good time! When the clays were all broken and the shells shot, I had busted more birds than any other gun with my 835. My gun is less than a year old and has only killed one turkey, but has performed flawlessly so far. I can't wait to fill it with 3 1/2's and give the Canadas what for. I still love my 870 Wingmaster the most, but the 835 is a solid shotgun. Jim
Old 08-10-2005, 10:58 PM

I must have a different 835 than anyone else. Mine is a "93-94" vintage and personally I think for an all around pump it's a POS. When new it rattled like a 20 year old Ford the camo finish is cheap (started rusting under the rib within a few months) and it was prone to not eject shells while duck hunting. (Oh and btw I would not even REMOTELY put it in the same class as my Citori! I couldn't wait until the 870 SuperMag came out and when they did I QUICKLY retired the 835 too a dusty corner (didn't even put it in my safe!). I have a 1300 Featherweight that I even used on occasion after getting the 835.

THEN came lastyear... Several years ago our buyer got us onto Remington Hevi-Shot for turkeys (this was before it was approved for ducks, we were using it for turkeys) and that's what I used in my SuperMag and had great luck with it. Early 2004 he got us onto Nitro Hevi-Shot and we still used it in our old guns and old tubes. Then while actually at Ray's home and loading shop (Nitro Ammo is about 30mins from my turkey hunting place in southern MO) he talked us into the Rhino choke tubes and mentioned the 835/935 loads he built for their 10ga boring! So I dug the old 835 out, stripped every single piece out of it (thank God for the alloy receiver or the barrel woulda been rusted into it!) and cleaned it like no tomorrow. Stuck a .695 Rhino in it, loaded it with 4x6x7.5 2.5oz 3.5" Nitros and with a 45mm red dot atop it she puts 22 pellets in a Coors Light can at 60 yds!!! The pellet count on paper targets is obscene and it didn't take me but a couple shots to relegate the 870 back too duck huntin while the ol 835 gets the turkey call out from now on (oh btw, she now resides IN the gun safe as well )

Another thing I like about my old 835 is she isn't ported (like the tubes aren't bad enough) so I don't have to hear all that ported noise!
RA

ps
Since she aint winnin any beauty contests either (both my Citori and Montefeltro Super 90S have her by lightyears in that dept) I likewise cancelled that "notorious eye crossin 835 recoil" with a slipon Simms pad and increased the length of pull by a BADLY needed 1". That's another thing that I hated about the gun, that short LOP makes your thumb hit you in the nose everytime you pull the trigger on a 3.5" duck or turkey load. So if you to are havin that problem try the slipover trick!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Spike

I have an 835 that was won at a NWTF banquet in 1997. It was my first and only gun for many years. I took it waterfowl, turkey, dove and pheasant hunting.

A friend and I were taking a break from turkey hunting this year and were discussing all the bad comments about the 835. Yet, we were both carrying them and they shot great. As I have greatly expanded my gun collection over the last 4 years, The 835 is my exclusive turkey gun. . I can lay it down in the grass, crawl though the brush with it and generally beat it up. It has been dropped, rained on and scratched. I do not worry about it getting dinged up at all. The only time it has not ejected shells is when I did not pump hard enough after a kill shot. I guess I was focusing too much on the kill and less on the gun.

When I am done hunting I give it a good cleaning and stick it back in the safe. There is no rust.

For its intended purpose, it is a great gun and I would not trade it for a different turkey gun.

As an aside:
I got into hunting late in life and have now introduced hunting to my father. It has been a wonderful experience with the son as the teacher. Anyway, when we bought him an all around shotgun, it was an 835. IT can handle any load in any situation in which we would be in and the safety is ideally located for a new shooter. It can be seen AND felt.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive owned 2 , 3 1/2 inch guns , one was the 870 supermag, what a piece of junk . The other is the 835, that I still own , very nice gun . I dont like 3 1/2 inch loads , they are too much for me , equal to a 375 H@R mag . I would much rather shoot 3" loads . IMO remington has put out junk for the last 10 years , before that they had some quality guns , but their ammo has allways been junk . The mosberg shotguns are all nice , the older 835s were a completly diferant gun . I allso own a 9400 that I love .
Old 08-17-2005, 08:12 PM

I bought an older used 835 at a guns show about 4 years ago. It had some dings---but not too bad. I topped it with a Simmons 2X scope and put a Simms recoil pad on it. I would not trade it for the most expensive gun on the market. It rattles a bit and is not real fond of ejecting 3.5 inch shells after a shot---BUT---it is a real turkey thumper. I have grossly misjudged some distances and have been amazed at the damage it can do.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

I purchased an 835 ulti-mag deer/turkey combo this year and so far i love it. my buddy has the same gun and i thumped my first two turkeys with it last year, one at 30 and 45 yards with 2 3/4" Shells.....can't beat that.

ORIGINAL: 2eagles

Went trap shooting Saturday. We had an 870 mag, 870 turkey special, Nova, Benelli semi-auto and my 835 all in different camo patterns.What a good time! When the clays were all broken and the shells shot, I had busted more birds than any other gun with my 835. My gun is less than a year old and has only killed one turkey, but has performed flawlessly so far. I can't wait to fill it with 3 1/2's and give the Canadas what for. I still love my 870 Wingmaster the most, but the 835 is a solid shotgun. Jim
What's your setup for skeet? and do you have 24" barrell? what kinda choke? thanlks.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the 1995 model.....non-ported and it likes Win. Supremes.

Quick Reply: Mossberg 835 ULTI-MAG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.