Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Marlin 917 clip problem

Old 05-25-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Marlin 917 clip problem

I am going to be buying a marlin or savage 17hmr and have handled them both. I think that action and clip feel on the savage is a little smoother and nicer, but the marlin's are known for accuracy. Now to my question.

Has anyone been able to verify whether the Marlin 917's have a problem in manufacturing? I have heard some reports that the magazines become loose and fail to chamber a round if not pushed up on. When looking at the marlin the clip was very loose and a little flimsy. Wondering if anyone has seen this problem with their 917.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 03:22 PM

Default RE: Marlin 917 clip problem

I dont know about the marlin but I know savage rifles are known for thier out of the box accuracy. And the action is extremely smooth. Ive noticed that the clip on the savage is a little wobbly also but i have no problems with mine. But to tell you the truth I think that the marlins are worth the little extra money. Those marlins are so goodlooking Im thinking about selling my savage and getting a marlin.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

i own a marlin and sure the clip was loose but it has never failed to chamber a round. to tighten the clip up i recently took the clip and clamped the back of it in the vise to tighten it up. i have read about people having trouble but it is few and far between, there is also the solution posted on rimfire central. it has been discussed many times. i love my marlin and im gald i bought it. if you decide to go with the marlin pm me and ill find the links of pics and tip on how to lighten the trigger its easy and simple and ligthens it by about half.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:26 PM

Here. Follow the link and you'll end up with a marlin, I'm sure. A guy on another forum found a cure to the loose clip problem.

[link]http://www.gutpilestyle.com/ForumSMF/index.php?topic=1935.0[/link]
Old 06-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

This guy has the awnser,

All right guys, hold your applause, but mark this date on your calender. As of today, I , Ellwoodjake, have discovered the Holy Grail of rimfire shooting. At long last, the riddle of the too-long Marlin magazine has been solved. My quest first began when searching online for a lower capacity magazine. I discovered at Cabela's that the replacement mags for the Marlin 22mag and 17hrm were the same part number. Imagine that? A quick trip to my parent's house to look at Dad's 22mag confirmed this. My pool of potential donor mags quickly grew. Another search for all 22mag replacement mags revealed something else interesting. A number of replacement/aftermarket 22lr and 22mag clips were being listed for Savage,Mossberg, Iver Johnson. Apparently, at one time , they were all in bed together. Since all these offered the 5-shot clip that I wanted, I then looked to my gun cabinet to my old Mossberg 640T "chuckster." At first glance, they "looked" different, but on closer examination, the slide rails were identical. I first noticed the slides being the same, when me and my buddy were shooting our .17s. I said," Let me try your Savage mag." It slid on OK, but wouldn't go all the way up due to some protrusions above the rails. His reluctance to let me commence grinding on his new magazine ended my research right there. I now had a donor mag in hand, that I knew was cheap and readily available, as I had lost a few in years past. All it took was a few minutes at the kitchen table with a file and now I have a 5-shot clip for my Marlin. The Savage/Mossberg clip is tapered toward the bullet end and is a little skinnier, so it doesn't totally fill the magazine hole, but it fits tight, doesn't rattle, and functions flawlessly. Best of all, the tabs I removed aren't needed in my Mossberg either, so I can swap it back and forth at will. So those of you who want a Marlin, but don't like the long clip; just get a Savage magazine to go with it. Until Marlin sees the light and builds a flush clip, I say " If you can't beat them, join them" Cool