Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

why?

Old 04-03-2021, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default why?

are todays hunting scopes over 3-9 magnification almost all side focus? it seems an objective parralex adjustment is almost non-existent in hunting scopes, I like the side focus for long range work but not in the woods. what say ye?
Old 04-03-2021, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO< its due to well, side focus is easier for most to do, and in all honesty, I think more and more folks like MOVIE looking guns, with BIG optic's and lot's of buttons and levers and dials on them, to make them look like they do more than they do(just like rifles and shotguns, the fancier High tech looking the better so much focus on image anymore? and wanting attention for having things)

so, IMO< its about wants and the OEM"S tend to follow trends and make things that the majority WANT< over need!

as for higher power offerings, I think a LOT of the GUN folks are getting older and well, eye sight's failing, so maybe there wanting to make up for that with more powerful scopes

and then again, there is a big FAD going on with LONG range shooting, and folks are buying to pretend they will do so LOL
as we all know, most hunters NEVER shoot really far , so again, its a WANT over need deal for a lot of scope and rifle sales!
folks want to THINK they can by the skills to shoot far!, and OEM"S are making things folks THINK They need or WANT!
to cater to the sales demands!

Old 04-03-2021, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have adjustable objectives in powers up to 6x24, you set them on 200 yards and leave them there for the most part, perhaps set it again if you want to shoot 500-600 yards, side focus must be set every shot, I just don't get it.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I only have one scope with side focus and a couple with front objective parallax adjustment. I agree with both of you. I know the side focus is touchier on various distances but easier to adjust, especially for a RH shooter. For us southpaws its a bit trickier. Most of my rifles have a scopes of 2-7 or 3-9 magnification which suits me fine for 99.99% of my hunting in the woods of PA. I'm sure the same can be said for most gun owners.
But mrbb has a point on the fact that a lot of guys like the "tacticool" look whether they use or need it or not.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Adjustable Objectives are definitely going out of style, or already have. For me personally, I haven’t bought an AO optic in probably 15yrs or so - when I was shooting Benchrest and F-class, AO was fine. Set the parallax and get behind the rifle, because the targets are at one distance. For BR or F-class, an AO does have the advantage of finer control, turning a larger “knob” instead of a finer one.

For any kind of field shooting, side or top parallax is favorable. Parallax can be adjusted more readily from behind the rifle when shooting SF. I can REACH my AO’s to adjust, but I cannot see the markings to get into the right adjustment without breaking position from behind the rifle. Side focus or top focus is an advantage.

I don’t agree with the premise that AO’s can be set and left alone while SF must be set for every shot. Either can be left alone or adjusted, but it there’s nothing really about AO which prevents parallax errors when the parallax setting doesn’t match the actual shooting distance. As an example: I rarely ever adjust my parallax during a stage, despite potentially shooting 300 to 1000yrds all within the same 90 seconds, and despite having visibility of my parallax and a quick spinner handle to facilitate adjustment. I’ll set my parallax for the longest range and shoot the shorter targets without issue.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Adjustable Objectives are definitely going out of style, or already have. For me personally, I haven’t bought an AO optic in probably 15yrs or so - when I was shooting Benchrest and F-class, AO was fine. Set the parallax and get behind the rifle, because the targets are at one distance. For BR or F-class, an AO does have the advantage of finer control, turning a larger “knob” instead of a finer one.

For any kind of field shooting, side or top parallax is favorable. Parallax can be adjusted more readily from behind the rifle when shooting SF. I can REACH my AO’s to adjust, but I cannot see the markings to get into the right adjustment without breaking position from behind the rifle. Side focus or top focus is an advantage.

I don’t agree with the premise that AO’s can be set and left alone while SF must be set for every shot. Either can be left alone or adjusted, but it there’s nothing really about AO which prevents parallax errors when the parallax setting doesn’t match the actual shooting distance. As an example: I rarely ever adjust my parallax during a stage, despite potentially shooting 300 to 1000yrds all within the same 90 seconds, and despite having visibility of my parallax and a quick spinner handle to facilitate adjustment. I’ll set my parallax for the longest range and shoot the shorter targets without issue.
NM, was referring to hunting scopes, take my 4x12 AO's, leave on 6x for woods hunting and leave the parralax set at 200 yards, never have touch it unless I come across a buck I want to judge at say 400 yards and turn it up to full power. the 4x12 SF I have if I turn the power up it gets blurry pretty bad for woods hunting I strongly prefer the AO.but my hunting scopes are not the same quality as your match scopes.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

I'm looking to get this one
https://www.texasprecisionoptics.com...FmOPFVFLhJt2Qs
Old 04-05-2021, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR - rereading your original post and your response, keying into the adjective modifier “hunting” made me realize the actual reason for the phenomena you’re observing: one thing which has really caused this shift is the overwhelming decline of hunting. Guys aren’t buying hunting scopes any more - they’re buying scopes for everything else which is done with a rifle in droves, but hunting is spiraling into the abyss. Long range hunting, or “western/backcountry hunting” is more popular now than ever, but the scopes used aren’t the typical low to mid-range magnification scopes used in Eastern type or stand/ambush hunting.

Hunters also are advantaged to use side parallax correction.

Since you mentioned 4-12x with AO and SF, are your Nikons or Leupolds? I’ve used both brands in AO and SF and absolutely confirm the parallax swing with increasing magnification. The parallax error potential is there even at lower mag, we just can’t see it as clearly, or rather, don’t notice the blur as dramatically.

Also a side musing in this topic: adding larger wheels to the SF knob helps tune parallax with a more precise feel, more like an AO, and 3D printing has made getting wheels made super simple.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:34 PM
Spike

The reason that many hunting scopes today are over 3-9 magnification with a side focus adjustment is because it provides hunters with a wider range of view and the ability to make quick, precise adjustments to the focus of the scope. The side focus design allows hunters to adjust the focus without having to take their eyes away from the target, making it much easier to track moving game.

While some hunters may prefer objective parralex adjustments, the side focus design is much more versatile and is well-suited for both long-range and close-range shooting. This is why it has become the standard for many hunting scopes.

However, it's important to note that different hunters have different preferences and needs, and it's essential to choose a scope that is best suited for your specific hunting style. Whether it's a side focus or an objective parralex adjustment, the most important thing is to find a scope that provides clear, crisp images, and that you are comfortable using in the field.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the time in my hunting circumstances I don't have time to adjust the focus. If I am using a rifle with an adjustable focus (side or objective) I usually have it set about 75 yards and leave it at that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.