Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Zeiss Conquest HD5 or Leupold VX3i >

Zeiss Conquest HD5 or Leupold VX3i

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Zeiss Conquest HD5 or Leupold VX3i

Old 12-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Spike

Default Zeiss Conquest HD5 or Leupold VX3i

If you could get a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x50mm for 570$ (1200$ scope)or a Leupold VX3i 3-10x50mm for 422$ (550$ scope) Which one would you get? Where I deer hunt deer are so pressured till I need a scope that will hunt well in low light conditions like around 5:30-5:40pm low light conditions. One reason, I am leaning towards one of these is due to the heavy duplex which is so much easier for me to see when it gets darker. I prefer a heavy duplex. Thanks, for all the help
Old 12-11-2017, 07:10 AM
Spike

Both should be fantastic glass but of the two, I'd personally go with the Zeiss Conquest HD5 which is currently listed at $499 on Cabelas.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Zeiss will stomp a hole in the Leupold for low light clarity and resolution.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

How do you quantify one scope having more clarity than another. If it is a judgement call then any one could be equal to another. I've sat in front of the scope counter at the local gun shop, large selection of scopes, set the scope in the stock, viewed and jumped from one to the next and back again with my evaluation changing from one viewing to the next. This is very subjective.

I do agree low end scopes are not equal to upper end scopes since I have had low end fail on me. Once you reach five bills it is difficult to separate anything in that class of scopes. Most of this is personal preference built from research, positive and negative field results, or a buddy saying how good his purchase was (using the same criteria). Also the negative encounters with an equal value scope could be part of a ~2% failure rate expected in manufacturing. There are some escapes.

Could it be there is no one great scope but personal preference which gives the individual confidence.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
How do you quantify one scope having more clarity than another. If it is a judgement call then any one could be equal to another. I've sat in front of the scope counter at the local gun shop, large selection of scopes, set the scope in the stock, viewed and jumped from one to the next and back again with my evaluation changing from one viewing to the next. This is very subjective.

I do agree low end scopes are not equal to upper end scopes since I have had low end fail on me. Once you reach five bills it is difficult to separate anything in that class of scopes. Most of this is personal preference built from research, positive and negative field results, or a buddy saying how good his purchase was (using the same criteria). Also the negative encounters with an equal value scope could be part of a ~2% failure rate expected in manufacturing. There are some escapes.

Could it be there is no one great scope but personal preference which gives the individual confidence.
Excellent points. All of our eyes are different, and they change with age. I have had different opinions from others even though we were taking turns viewing the same resolution target.

I know a couple of the more vocal optics experts at my club that have not had their eyes checked, or glasses prescription updated for quite a while. I think that if the quality of the glass is roughly similar the choice is entirely up to the individual.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MaineRida
How do you quantify one scope having more clarity than another.
Primarily comes down to the coatings used and quality of glass. There is a large difference when looking through a cheap Tasco vs a quality scope. When all are using quality glass, the difference is obviously a lot less and more subjective.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just put a Zeiss Conquest 4-12X on my AR-10. It's very clear but I've yet to check it out in a low light situation so I can't speak on that. I got it because I wanted a mil dot reticle on this rifle and couldn't pass up the deal.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Clarity of a scope is not subjective. You can not look through another persons scope and make a call on clarity without adjusting said scope to your eyes. I have several brands of scopes most worth over 6 bills and my swaro puts the others to shame in both clarity and low light conditions.
To answer the question asked by the op get the Ziess it is near to their top end scopes and as well goes to 3x rather then 4x. This does not sound like a big deal until you are in close quartes the lower the power the better.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I could sell you an automated test system for about 200k which would turn your answer into true objective results. Let me know if its within your budget.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
I could sell you an automated test system for about 200k which would turn your answer into true objective results. Let me know if its within your budget.
man your digging deep to make a sale, this is a old tread LOL
and the Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x50mm model is discontinued already too ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.