HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Zeiss Conquest HD5 or Leupold VX3i
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 AM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
How do you quantify one scope having more clarity than another. If it is a judgement call then any one could be equal to another. I've sat in front of the scope counter at the local gun shop, large selection of scopes, set the scope in the stock, viewed and jumped from one to the next and back again with my evaluation changing from one viewing to the next. This is very subjective.

I do agree low end scopes are not equal to upper end scopes since I have had low end fail on me. Once you reach five bills it is difficult to separate anything in that class of scopes. Most of this is personal preference built from research, positive and negative field results, or a buddy saying how good his purchase was (using the same criteria). Also the negative encounters with an equal value scope could be part of a ~2% failure rate expected in manufacturing. There are some escapes.

Could it be there is no one great scope but personal preference which gives the individual confidence.
Excellent points. All of our eyes are different, and they change with age. I have had different opinions from others even though we were taking turns viewing the same resolution target.

I know a couple of the more vocal optics experts at my club that have not had their eyes checked, or glasses prescription updated for quite a while. I think that if the quality of the glass is roughly similar the choice is entirely up to the individual.