Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Which Scope?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Spike

Default Which Scope?

OK.. I'm sure that I'm going to get a million different answers here, but here goes!

I've got a nice R-700 in .308 with a Manners Glass Bedded Stock, Timney 510 trigger and a heavy 20" barrel. All in all it's a very accurate and nice rifle and to be honest is a jewel in my gun collection.

It's primary purpose is obviously larger game given it;'s .308 calbre.

However I've always felt that the Burris Fullfield-2 3x-9x-40mm is not enough scope for the rifle. So I'm looking to upgrade the scope.

I don't have a fortune to spend on this.. my budget is less than $500 preferably a lot less!

I was looking at the Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40mm which is on Optics Planet for $380

Can anyone comment or suggest on this? Any other ideas? Is this a good hunting scope?

As for by Burris: When I get a replacement scope for the R-700 I'm thinking about putting the Burris on an AR15 Varmint rifle that I'm building. So it won't go to waste.. My logic is that I would have to buy a scope for the Varmint rifle so I may as well use the Burris and upgrade the R-700 scope. Is this good thinking?

Thanks for any advise!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that the .308 is a fine, fine hunting round and I own several rifles so chambered. For my hunting, my .308 Ruger M77 RSI has a 2-7x28 Ultralight, my .308 M88 Winchester has a M8 Leupold 4X, my .308 M100 Winchester has a Redfield 4X Wideview and .308 M100 Carbine has a Burris FF 1.75-5x20.

I do own a Burris FFII 3-9x40 (#4 reticle) that sits atop a Remington Model Seven I have in .300 SAUM which I think is all the scope that .300 needs. Just yesterday it gave me a 5/8" 3 shot group at 100 yards. That tells me, I can do most anything within MPBR and more with a high magnification of 9X shooting big game. That SAUM is a pretty flat shooting rifle giving ~ 350-400FPS more velocity than a 20" .308 does.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't believe a .308 used for deer hunting(?) needs a 6-18X scope on top. For me, there's not a low enough power there to give me what I'd desire for FOV at 50 yards never mind 25 yards. I own several Nikons and I'm sure the scope you mentioned is a fine one, just needlessly overpowered for that rifle for my tastes.

Nothing wrong with getting a better scope on top of a favorite rifle. If I wanted an upgrade from the FFII on it now, I'd look to a Leupold VX-R in 3-9x40 with Firedot Duplex reticle for great low light performance. If extreme low light performance is not high on your "wants" list, I'd look to a VX3 in 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40. You can shoot accurately a long ways on big game with a 7, 8, 9 or 10X magnification.

Just a couple thoughts. Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Last edited by Tnhunter444; 01-15-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Spike

If you like your Burris and want a little higher power, take a look at the Burris C4 with the Windage Reticle and custom elevation knob/turret for your gun. Comes in 3x9 and 4.5-14
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Tnhunter444
I agree that the .308 is a fine, fine hunting round and I own several rifles so chambered. For my hunting, my .308 Ruger M77 RSI has a 2-7x28 Ultralight, my .308 M88 Winchester has a M8 Leupold 4X, my .308 M100 Winchester has a Redfield 4X Wideview and .308 M100 Carbine has a Burris FF 1.75-5x20.

I do own a Burris FFII 3-9x40 (#4 reticle) that sits atop a Remington Model Seven I have in .300 SAUM which I think is all the scope that .300 needs. Just yesterday it gave me a 5/8" 3 shot group at 100 yards. That tells me, I can do most anything within MPBR and more with a high magnification of 9X shooting big game. That SAUM is a pretty flat shooting rifle giving ~ 350-400FPS more velocity than a 20" .308 does.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't believe a .308 used for deer hunting(?) needs a 6-18X scope on top. For me, there's not a low enough power there to give me what I'd desire for FOV at 50 yards never mind 25 yards. I own several Nikons and I'm sure the scope you mentioned is a fine one, just needlessly overpowered for that rifle for my tastes.

Nothing wrong with getting a better scope on top of a favorite rifle. If I wanted an upgrade from the FFII on it now, I'd look to a Leupold VX-R in 3-9x40 with Firedot Duplex reticle for great low light performance. If extreme low light performance is not high on your "wants" list, I'd look to a VX3 in 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40. You can shoot accurately a long ways on big game with a 7, 8, 9 or 10X magnification.

Just a couple thoughts. Best of luck with whatever you choose!
This good advise thank you!

I'm not an experienced hunter to I was thinking that a more powerful scope would allow me to take that longer shot and be sure of a clean kill. But what i'm hearing and correct me if I'm wrong is that most shots are usually within about 300 yards and a lot at 50 yards or less. If you have a scope that is to powerful then a) it will be hard to acquire because its to powerful and b) if you do then you will just see a brown blodge and not an animal!

My initial research when I got the Burris came up with a 3x9 40mm as the optimum scope for hunting and it seems that you are re-asserting this finding!... So maybe I should just get another Burris 3x9 40 from the AR I'm building ???? and Leave the R-700 as is?? After all the Burris is a pretty good scope right?

Last edited by smcrea; 01-15-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by smcrea
This good advise thank you!

I'm not an experienced hunter to I was thinking that a more powerful scope would allow me to take that longer shot and be sure of a clean kill. But what i'm hearing and correct me if I'm wrong is that most shots are usually within about 300 yards and a lot at 50 yards or less. If you have a scope that is to powerful then a) it will be hard to acquire because its to powerful and b) if you do then you will just see a brown blodge and not an animal!

My initial research when I got the Burris came up with a 3x9 40mm as the optimum scope for hunting and it seems that you are re-asserting this finding!... So maybe I should just get another Burris 3x9 40 from the AR I'm building ???? and Leave the R-700 as is?? After all the Burris is a pretty good scope right?
I have two Burris FFIIs the 3-9x40 and also a 2-7x35. I think they are a great value for the $$ spent and I'd think it should continue to give you good service atop that .308 (or wherever else it might end up). If you are planning on "varminting" with the new AR then you actually might want a more powerful scope on it (smaller targets).

A 3-9x40 would not be out of place, but a 4-12x40 or something similar would also work well, IMHO. A VX2 in 4-12x40 with AO is within your price range. Starting at a lower price break, Redfield makes one, Leupold also makes the 4-12 in it's Rifleman and VX1 series and for about the same $$ as the 4-12x40 VX2 mentioned above, you could also get a Zeiss Terra 4-12x42 ($450).

If you go up just a tad more in magnification, Burris also makes some scopes in FFII, FF E1 and Burris C4 in 4.5-14x42 for $300-$400.

As you well know, the sky's the limit when it comes to optics. Best of luck finding what you want!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep in mind that $400 gets you a lot better 3x9 than it does a 6x18

I use the Burris FF scopes. I have a 6-20x50 and three 3.5-10x50 scopes. I like them quite a bit.

Some other ones to check out.

Redfield Revolution
Vortex viper
Bushnell elite

Last edited by rockport; 01-15-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

3X-9X is fine for big game (under 300 yards).

You need 12X or 16X for varmints/predators IMO
Old 01-16-2014, 02:57 AM
Typical Buck

Want to stay under $500, this is a DEAL!
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...the_day_jan_10
Old 01-16-2014, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend you give your terrain some consideration when selecting magnification. If you're hunting in the woods, the low side becomes more important. If you're hunting on the prairie, the high side takes the lead.

As an example, most of my deer hunting is in the woods. I generally can't see much but trees beyond 200 yards anyway. However, I'll often jump a deer and need to pick it up quickly in the scope, so a 3-9x serves me quite well. Conversely, my pronghorn hunting is always out on the prairie. The limitation there isn't so much how far I can see but at what point the bullet I launch no longer has the ability to take an animal down cleanly. Accordingly, my pronghorn rifle is topped by a 6.5-20x.

I have a short-barrelled 700 LTR in an AI chassis in .308. 600 yards is nothing for that rifle - on targets. It's heavy though, and isn't my preference for hunting. A Manners is going to be far, far lighter than my AI, but with a heavy barrel already, adding big glass to your rifle is going to drive the weight up. Something else you might consider. When I carry my AI, it's usually in a pack (a GS2). That doesn't work for hunting, at least for me.

I own quite a few Burris scopes and I've been happy with them. I suggest you hunt for a couple of seasons with what you already have and see what you find yourself wishing for in terms of magnification - more ... or less of it. 3-9x covers a lot of situations very well, however.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you want regular turrets or tall target turrets (tacticool)? Either way I would not scope it with anything that is 10X or maybe a bit more on the top end. AO is the ticket for scopes that are 12X or bigger on top.

The FOV at lower power is important for deer hunting. You don't want to try to shoot a deer that is really close and see only brown in the scope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.