HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which Scope?
Thread: Which Scope?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM
smcrea
Spike

Originally Posted by Tnhunter444
I agree that the .308 is a fine, fine hunting round and I own several rifles so chambered. For my hunting, my .308 Ruger M77 RSI has a 2-7x28 Ultralight, my .308 M88 Winchester has a M8 Leupold 4X, my .308 M100 Winchester has a Redfield 4X Wideview and .308 M100 Carbine has a Burris FF 1.75-5x20.

I do own a Burris FFII 3-9x40 (#4 reticle) that sits atop a Remington Model Seven I have in .300 SAUM which I think is all the scope that .300 needs. Just yesterday it gave me a 5/8" 3 shot group at 100 yards. That tells me, I can do most anything within MPBR and more with a high magnification of 9X shooting big game. That SAUM is a pretty flat shooting rifle giving ~ 350-400FPS more velocity than a 20" .308 does.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't believe a .308 used for deer hunting(?) needs a 6-18X scope on top. For me, there's not a low enough power there to give me what I'd desire for FOV at 50 yards never mind 25 yards. I own several Nikons and I'm sure the scope you mentioned is a fine one, just needlessly overpowered for that rifle for my tastes.

Nothing wrong with getting a better scope on top of a favorite rifle. If I wanted an upgrade from the FFII on it now, I'd look to a Leupold VX-R in 3-9x40 with Firedot Duplex reticle for great low light performance. If extreme low light performance is not high on your "wants" list, I'd look to a VX3 in 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40. You can shoot accurately a long ways on big game with a 7, 8, 9 or 10X magnification.

Just a couple thoughts. Best of luck with whatever you choose!
This good advise thank you!

I'm not an experienced hunter to I was thinking that a more powerful scope would allow me to take that longer shot and be sure of a clean kill. But what i'm hearing and correct me if I'm wrong is that most shots are usually within about 300 yards and a lot at 50 yards or less. If you have a scope that is to powerful then a) it will be hard to acquire because its to powerful and b) if you do then you will just see a brown blodge and not an animal!

My initial research when I got the Burris came up with a 3x9 40mm as the optimum scope for hunting and it seems that you are re-asserting this finding!... So maybe I should just get another Burris 3x9 40 from the AR I'm building ???? and Leave the R-700 as is?? After all the Burris is a pretty good scope right?

Last edited by smcrea; 01-15-2014 at 12:20 PM.