Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Night Sights: Are They Worth It? >

Night Sights: Are They Worth It?

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Night Sights: Are They Worth It?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Night Sights: Are They Worth It?

I was on the verge of putting in an order for a Sig 2022 today. Hadn't really considered whether to get night sights or regular -- had just assumed that night sights were better and I should get and I should get them. Anyone have an opinion? Any reason I should not get night sights?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you mean night sights like the XS big dot or trijicon 3 point sights. If this pistol will be a CCW or home defense weapon then yes sir. If it is not for personal protection then don't worry about it. I have only seen pictures of the Sig 2022 and it looks full size, not an ideal EDC for most people.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

From what I've read, Sig used to use Trijicon and now use Mepro, and they are a tritium illiuminated sight. So, yes, I believe we are talking about the same kind of sight. I'm a life long hunter, but kind of a pistol newb, this will be my first pistol, aside from a couple of older .32s I inherited. Primarily buying for home-defense and for the range to get some practice.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

For home defense purposes I'd want the "Full Monte"; so I'd say yes !

Good for night work on coyotes too........
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

If this pistol will be a CCW or home defense weapon then yes sir.
+1

I often walk alone at night the tritium sights on my Kimber are very reassuring.

At a well lit gun counter it is difficult to appreciate just how helpful illuminated sights can be. But in a dark house or a moonless night...you will be glad you got them.

Last edited by RobertSubnet; 01-03-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the input -- going to place the order with night sights.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

you still have to be able to identify yer target .
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Short answer is yes. If you have ever done any night time training or even low light training, you realize quickly how useful night sights can be. If you have a friend with a pistol equipped with night sights, go over to his house some evening after dark and ask to look at his pistol and night sights in the backyard area with no porch light on. You will be amazed at the difference. It doesn't help you ID a target as Tundra pointed out BUT you will be able to fire much more accurately at that dim target if you determine that it's a shooting situation.

Something else you might consider is to have your friend put that same pistol with night sights in a holster on his side and have the pistol visible (i.e. no shirt or jacket covering it). Have your friend step about 10-15 yards away from you and face towards you with the pistol in plain sight. You will notice the night sights. You can test different distances to see how far away his night sights are visible but just be aware when carrying openly at night that your pistol's night sights are visible for quite a ways further than you might think. Sometimes it's the little things that keep you safe.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

Night sights raised my low light qualification scores and made it unnecessary for me to cheat and hang back a second so the other shooters muzzle flashes illuminated my target enough for me to get a good sight picture.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

I've got Tritium sights on my Glock 10 mm. Can't recall if they're Trijicon, or Meprolight.

They show up great at night. Shooting a quart gator aid bottle at camp range around dusk they were handy. That's the only pistol I've owned that had'em ,but I would say get them if they're not too pricey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.