Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Help deciding on a scope >

Help deciding on a scope

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Help deciding on a scope

Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
+1 for this option...
Why? One of mine has no provision for iron sights. I have at least 3 that can easily deliver enough energy for an ethical kill past 300 yards.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Why? One of mine has no provision for iron sights. I have at least 3 that can easily deliver enough energy for an ethical kill past 300 yards.
Same reason I don't put scopes on my slug gun...first, unnecessary ....and second because I have never had any good luck with a scope on a muzzy due to recoil. While you may have the energy down range to 300, realistically are you going to shoot that far (accurately)? I haven't smoke-pole hunted in a couple years...but when I use too I quickly lost the scope, as it was just added unnecessary weight that provided no real benefit. Hell, 90% of all hunting kill shots are probably within 100 yards...leaving scopes unnecessary even with a modern firearm...haha!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Decided on the Vortex Diamondback. Was not an easy choice, thanks for all the opinions.

FYI, Cabela's just put all of Nikon Prostaff Optics (scopes, binocs, rangefinders, etc.) on sale through 22 September. Wondering if anyone knows how the binocs are.

emtrescue6, until last year, I was all about open sights on my ML. Then I had a bad shot on what should have been an easy 50 yd poke on a deer. Did not recover the deer. My conclusion was that I most likely hit a branch I could not see with open sights. Almost all my shots are in heavy woods. With a scope, even within 100 yards, I can see all sorts of twigs and whatnot that are otherwise invisible. I can pass on some shots that while in easy range, I might take a chance on with open sights simply because I do not realize that the bullet path to my target is not as clear as it seems.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

emtrescue6

You would be very surprised what a ML can do these days and how high end some builds have become. Many of us dont have the vision we once did and i enjoy long range shooting, not just hunting. I also use mine to hunt all seasons including our general firearms season. I see no reason to handicap myself anymore than being limited to basically a single shot.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

....................90% of all hunting kill shots are probably within 100 yards...leaving scopes unnecessary even with a modern firearm...haha!
For those of us that cannot focus on the front sight, a scope is very very very beneficial even for close shots.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

.........................I have never had any good luck with a scope on a muzzy due to recoil.................
Myself, i have never had a scope fail when used on any of my muzzle loaders.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

......................... While you may have the energy down range to 300, realistically are you going to shoot that far (accurately)?.............................
Last year i killed and tagged a Pronghorn well over 300 yard with a muzzle loader. Them goat i spotted over 1/2 mile out, and used the terrain to walk closer, until i couldn't. The shot was taken after crawling on my belly to get as close as possible. Somehow i didn't even get one teeny cactus in me the whole hunt. The meat is nearly all eaten now, and it was so so very good. The meat wouldn't be in the freezer if i didn't have the scope mounted on my rifle. The scope is what allowed for a successful hunt.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

LOL...ya'll are reading too much into my post...I merely answered a questions as to why I didn't see a scope necessary on a smoke-pole...everyone has their own reasons and for good reason.

Gm54-120...I am well aware of what a "modern" muzzy is capable of, I have a couple and the only reason I haven't hunted with one recently is because of where I currently hunt the muzzy seasons suck...hahaha. I miss the good ole days when the muzzy season was actually good.

Don't ask my reasoning behind a decisions and then criticize my response....I simply stated my reasoning. All of your opinions and reasons for wanting a scope on a muzzy are equally valid.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Myself, i have never had a scope fail when used on any of my muzzle loaders.
I am happy for you and hope you continue to have such luck and when you do have a failure, I hope you are not in the back forty on a 2 week hunt 300 miles from nowhere with no back-up (hey, we all make mistakes)...you hunt long enough you'll eventually have a system failure.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
Decided on the Vortex Diamondback. Was not an easy choice, thanks for all the opinions.

FYI, Cabela's just put all of Nikon Prostaff Optics (scopes, binocs, rangefinders, etc.) on sale through 22 September. Wondering if anyone knows how the binocs are.
Good choice on the Vortex from what I have heard they make good optics...I don't own any but have looked through them and they seem quite good.

As far as Nikon binoc's....between my wife and I we have 3 pair of Nikon Binoc's...a couple of older pair and a pair purchased last year in various powers. We took one pair on a hunt to Africa and two pair make the annual hunting/fishing trips to Alaska. For the money they are hard to beat and are as crisp and clear and reliable as my Lupy's and Bausch & Lomb binoc's. The older pair have survived many a hunt and been banged around in the truck for over a decade and extreme temps of Alaska, Montana, Michigan and Africa...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.