Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Question about Scope rings >

Question about Scope rings

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Question about Scope rings

Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you say low or medium rings you are actually talking about the bases of the rings that give them the proper height so the objective lens clears the barrel. The easiest way to fit a gun for rings is to take the gun to the dealer where you're going to buy them and then you aren't guessing as to clearance issues for the objective lens.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-04-2012 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Edited to clear up bad initial explanation
Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
When you say low or medium rings you are actually talking about the bases that the rings attach to, as the rings sit on top of the bases and are what the scope sits in. The easiest way to fit a gun for rings/bases is to take the gun to the dealer where you're going to buy the mounts and then you aren't guessing as to clearance issues for the objective lens.
Not quite sure what you mean, one of us is confused here. You can buy rings in different heights low,med, and high to accommodate for larger objective lenses and head position. I have not seen bases come in different heights, and usually when they are they are refereed to as rails.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

We're on the same page as I just didn't explain what I was talking about properly. I was calling the part of the ring that gives it the proper height so the scope clears the barrel it's base. Then that whole thing attaches to the actual base that is attached to the gun. Sorry for not "splaining"what I meant properly.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Spike

Gotcha (: ..