Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Question about Scope rings >

Question about Scope rings

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Question about Scope rings

Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Spike

Default Question about Scope rings

Just bought a new Ruger American in 30.06.

Are there good rings and bad rings out there, or is it more of a thing where there are rings and expensive rings.

Reason I ask is because I can get a pair of weaver rings for as low as like $8-30 and then I see them going for prices like $100+. Which sounds outrageous to me!

Second question, are there centerfire rings? becuase I see a lot of airgun rings for really cheap. Just wondering what the diff. is?

Here is an example of what I am talking about.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-1...lack-ring.html Low

http://www.opticsplanet.com/barrett-...tte-13321.html High
Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

There is such things as good and bad rings. Additionally, I would never chance using rings designed for an airgun on a high power rifle.

Personally, I am not a fan of Weaver rings/bases, but I do have a couple rifles that still wear them including one of my regularly used deer rifles. Investing in a quality set of rings and bases for a high power rifle is one of the more critical elements, but that doesn't mean you need to spend 100's of $$. If you shop, you should be able to secure a quality set of rings/bases for $50 - $100. I am not familiar with Barrett products...are you considering installing s tactical rail on the rifle? If not, then these rings probably aren't a good choice. You also do NOT need to spend that kind of money for a quality ring. The NcStar rings? No way I would put those on any of my guns...the price says it all!

I have had good luck with Millet, Warne, EGW, DMZ and Redfield and Lupy rings/bases...you can secure a good set of rings/bases from any of these manufacturers for $100 or less...I recommend using a 1 piece base when possible and dovetail type rings/bases. Remember, you will need bases as well as rings.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy a set of dual dovetail Leupold bases/rings and don't look back!
Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Spike

Well my rifle comes with weaver bases on them already so that is my reasoning behind getting those rings.

But if a onepiece ring set is the way to go then I will keep my eye out for some.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

The bases can be one or two pieces, but there are two rings on either system.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, it's important !

Here is what I use;

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html#2

Alot of guyz like these;

http://www.dnzproducts.com/game-reaper-mounts
Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Loopy and Burris Signature rings and bases. Never a problem. The reason to stay away from 2 piece bases UNLESS YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION, is that unless they are put on a low power recoiling weapon, as this is in my experiences only. Is that I have seen them not be dead center using alignment tools, causing the scope to bind and cant causing in-accuracy problems. With a bit of ring work and lapping, was able to bring them back somewhat, but not always enough. Replaced base, problem gone.

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-01-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's rather important to use good quality rings AND quality optics. I'd lean toward Leupold PRW or Warne rings. They will mount up with the weaver-style supplied bases that came with the rifle.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nearly ALL of my rifles wear either Leupold/Redfield bases and rings. I'm a gun show advocate, and you can usually find what you are looking for at shows for a bit less than most retail stores want, but not always. If you get the chance, you may want to check them out....
Old 12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Spike

So after doing some research I came across the Warne Permanent rings that look and from what I have read do a darn good job for a fair price.

Think I might snag a pair of these while there cheap, but for a scope with a 40mm objective lens, will the low rings fit on a Ruger American Rifle? Or should I buy medium rings.

Last scope I bought medium rings for where well within clearance and that was a 44mm objective lens, however the setup was a different gun and mounting clearances where different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.