Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Laser Boresight and Ballistics Question >

Laser Boresight and Ballistics Question

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Laser Boresight and Ballistics Question

Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Question Laser Boresight and Ballistics Question

If I was setting up a scope for a rifle and I used a laser boresight, it would help my windage, no doubt, but what about ballistics? For example if I have a 300 win mag and I use a laser boresight to 200 yds. The bore sight tells me where the barrel/bullet is pointing and if I line my crosshairs up with it, the bullet should hit low because we have not yet accounted for gravity. Thus I would need to have my crosshairs about 8" below the laser dot at 200yds given the speed of a 165gr Win mag.

Am I off in thinking this way? (and I know it is best to actually shoot to sight in, but I am just looking for insight on this particular subject)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a laser boresight at 25 yards, but just to get on paper. There are a lot of things that are going to affect the bullet down range, and a laser bore sight doesn't account for them. Stated ballistics may work for some firearms but often they don't. I'm a believer in shooting at the range I think I might have a maximum shot at when I can.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 11-01-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what grizzlyman said. Boresighting is just to get you on paper. Heck, I've sighted in dozens of rifles over the years - never boresighted any. Not really neccessary, but if you have one its obviously good to use. Only way you are going to know where any gun shoots is to shoot it.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boresighters are to get you on the target / paper at 25 yards................and Thank you for that !
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto. Bore sighting .... by any method ... is not precise enough to count on other than bringing the point of impact in close enough so that you can fine tune.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, Boresighters are just meant to get you on paper at close ranges. They are definately handy tool that can save you some time and money.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

X11...just to get on paper. i have seen deer killed at 50 yards with a bore sighted rifle, but not a good method imo