Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Leupold scope rings & mounts >

Leupold scope rings & mounts

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Leupold scope rings & mounts

Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leupold scope rings & mounts

I just purchased a Winchester Mod. 70 .338 Win. Mag for my Alaskan Brown bear hunt this Fall. I'm outfitting it w/ a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX3 scope. What are the best Leupold scope mounts & rings for this rifle/scope combo?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my opinion, but, I'd opt for less magnification than 3.5-10. My .375 wears a 1.5-5 Vari-X III which, for most of my time crawling about coastal Alaska (Kodiak, Kenai Peninsula) was dialed down to 1.5x. Contact your outfitter and see what his recommendation is for the terrain and vegetation you'll be hunting in.

As far as mounts go, my rifle's had a Leupold 2-piece base on it for years, with leupold rings. Just about everything I put together today gets a one-piece base. I'd probably do the same with that rifle if I felt the need to update it.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

All their mounts are solid but if they have a dual dovetail that would be the best. Good luck on your hunt
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leupy's are o.k but I prefer Talley's. Or, if ya want tough, Warne's.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with BRUSE on the dual dovetail system Leupold makes and that's what I'd use. I have a number of their scopes/systems and they're hard to beat!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BRUSE
All their mounts are solid but if they have a dual dovetail that would be the best. Good luck on your hunt
X2!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
Just my opinion, but, I'd opt for less magnification than 3.5-10. My .375 wears a 1.5-5 Vari-X III which, for most of my time crawling about coastal Alaska (Kodiak, Kenai Peninsula) was dialed down to 1.5x. Contact your outfitter and see what his recommendation is for the terrain and vegetation you'll be hunting in.

As far as mounts go, my rifle's had a Leupold 2-piece base on it for years, with leupold rings. Just about everything I put together today gets a one-piece base. I'd probably do the same with that rifle if I felt the need to update it.
I have hunted for the past 15 years (almost every year) in Alaska...and I have to agree with what homers brother says...I would go with lower magnification...my experience is that your shots will almost all be well under 100 yards (probably under 50) and in dense cover likely...lower power will be much preferred when trying to frame that griz in your scope at close range. My 300 WM that gets used up there had a 3-9x40 Lupy on it when I first took it up there, it now has a 1.5-4.5x40 swift (The Swift's out preform the new Lupy's hands down IMHO, especially $$ wise). I too would also go with a one piece mount on that 338...and would not use Lupy mounts/rings...so many brands out there out preform their rings/bases (I have several sets, and while none have failed me, most are their 1 piece mounts as opposed to the 2 piece sets). Try DNZ one piece ring/bases sets...less moving parts to fail, they get really high marks. I also like Warne, EGW and Millett bases/rings.

Happy hunting...nothing quite like hunting in Alaska...is this your first hunt there?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, 1st trip to hunt Brown bear in Kodiak Alaska, I'm super stoked! Reason I'm going w/ the VX3 3.5-10x40 is that it was virtually given to me. Both my guides said I need to be able to shoot 250 yds. but that most shots are around 100 yds.

Just curious, but why 1 piece mount vs. the 2 piece DD system? I've heard nothing but good things about the Loopy DDs & have them on my .270, 30-06, & MZ. I was worried the 1 piece base would be more likely to interfere w/ ejecting a spent cartridge when chambering additional rounds & cause it to jam, but what do I know, that's why I'm asking Appreciate all the info!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use the Leupold dual dovetail mounts, but if your rifle has iron sights I would consider the Warne QD. Your scope is tough and reliable, a very good choice.