Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

scope for 44mag

Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Spike

Default scope for 44mag

hey guy/gals im thinking bout getting me a scope for my model 29 44mag.sw, i want to use it for hunting but im not sure what size scope to get or what kind. im not looking to break the bank but i would like to buy a decent one.any suggestions
Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Super Redhawk 44 mag with a Leupold FX-II 2X 20mm scope, it is realy nice, its a little spendy, about $350. They also have the same scope in 4x, but I like the 2x on my Ruger. I also have a Remington XP100R 260 rem. with a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-6x 32mm pistol scope, it is also really nice and is a variable, it costs about $300, but I think Midway USA has them on sale for $249 right now. I dont believe you could go wrong with either.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I considered scoping my .44 Mag Redhawk years ago for hunting. Fortunately for me, a friend had a rig set up already and he let me borrow it. The first thing I noticed was how heavy and bulky it felt. We have reticles like the "Ballistic-Plex" today, but it took some getting used to with the old duplex and the lobbing trajectory of the pistol cartridge and being able to actually hit something at 100 yards.

In the end, i scrapped the whole idea - primarily because of the bulky feel of a scoped, large-frame handgun. Since then, I've taken two deer with my .44 handguns, both at less than 100 yards and both without optics.

If you decide on scoping your revolver, pay particular attention to eye relief, and particularly if you're looking at a variable-power scope. I've a Burris on my XP100 (.223) that the ER changes noticeably as you I run through the power ranges - not sure I like that so much. May be looking for something else soon, could be a fixed power.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
I considered scoping my .44 Mag Redhawk years ago for hunting. Fortunately for me, a friend had a rig set up already and he let me borrow it. The first thing I noticed was how heavy and bulky it felt. We have reticles like the "Ballistic-Plex" today, but it took some getting used to with the old duplex and the lobbing trajectory of the pistol cartridge and being able to actually hit something at 100 yards.

In the end, i scrapped the whole idea - primarily because of the bulky feel of a scoped, large-frame handgun. Since then, I've taken two deer with my .44 handguns, both at less than 100 yards and both without optics.

If you decide on scoping your revolver, pay particular attention to eye relief, and particularly if you're looking at a variable-power scope. I've a Burris on my XP100 (.223) that the ER changes noticeably as you I run through the power ranges - not sure I like that so much. May be looking for something else soon, could be a fixed power.
A 240gr. 44 mag shooting 1172fps sighted in at 1.6" high at 25 yards will be .1" high at 100 yards.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
if your hunting in the timber, stick with a 2x, 4x is just to much considering the small field of view of a pistol scope.
RR

+1-well said. Tom.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

either get the variable leupold or the 2x fixed. the 4x is too much. been there!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Avoid my mistake and stay away from Weaver. Mine did not hold up to the recoil. My next one will be a Leupold.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I've got a few scoped handguns,and a few different scopes.The trick is learning to use a scoped handgun,I shoot with a lot of people, some love the scopes others say they will never have one with a scope.My suggestion would be to find someone that will let you try some out.
As for which scope, mine are on tc barrels ,a 4X Leupold on a 460 S&W , a 2X Bushnell on a 444, 2X Redfield on a 35 rem,4X Leupold on a 44 mag, 4 X Leupold on a 22 LR,and 6 2.5 -8 X Weavers on everything from 375 JDJ down to 221 fireball. The only scope that ever failed was a 2X Leupold.Try some out see if they are for you then if you still want one find one you like. Most are trouble free and if their for you will make hand gunning a lot more fun, if that's possible.
Alex