Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Loctite

Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Loctite

For those of you that use Loctite when mounting scope rails which do you use, the blue or red? Seems I remember both work but one is more forgiving if you want to remove the rail later one.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The blue is easier to break loose.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

The BLUE loctite is excellent. It holds tight and secure forever, and it will still allow you (with strength) to break loose the screws.

The RED loctite is permanent. Even if you use a blow torch and vice-grips, the stuff will not break loose!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you much!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I use White Out......Works great and cheaper than Locktite...
Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Loc tite 242 blue.
Don't use the Loc tite 262 Red . You will never get it back off. I've used allot of the Loc tite products over the years.

Rebel Hog that's the first I ever heard of White Out for that use.

I used the red on a trailer ball once. Big mistake. I had to heat it up and then the impact wrench beat on it for what seemed like ever. I bet it was a good 20 minutes getting it off.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Clear finger nail polish. Works good, not too hard to break free when needed, but still strong enough to hold against hundreds of rounds of 300RUM. Only problem is when the wife wants to borrow it lol
Old 02-24-2011, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

I mounted two scopes with blue locktite that when I tried to remove them I broke a screw in each of them. It is almost impossible to get them out, drill press by gunsmith is about the only way. The gunsmiths I know say not to use anything, just tighten them down firm.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use blue locktite and it seems to hold well, yet I can still get it apart easily. I used red one time on a piece on a truck, and I literally never thought I was going to get it apart. After lots of heating, beating, and cutting I finally got it apart. I would never use that on a gun. I almost wonder if the above poster used that by mistake as I've never had a problem removing stuff with the blue on it.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

As another mentioned, I use clear fingernail polish. Works great. relatively easy to "break" if removal of the scope or mounts in necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.