Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Leupold vxII

Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Leupold vxII

I have a leupold VxII 1-4-20mm scope it's like new no scratches. It's only been on 1 rifle wich is a ruger mini 14. I'm thinking about selling the scope to get one with more power (like a 2-7 or 3-9) so how much do y'all think I should get for the leupold?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure. How much do they go for new? My general rule of thumb is to price used Leupolds about $50 below their new price and I often sell them. I just sold a VX-II 3-9x40. I was asking $250, but sold it for $240. It took a few weeks to sell which I thought was odd as most other Leupolds I've sold have sold very quickly. I think it's because I tried to sell it right at Christmas time though.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
I have a leupold VxII 1-4-20mm scope it's like new no scratches. It's only been on 1 rifle wich is a ruger mini 14. I'm thinking about selling the scope to get one with more power (like a 2-7 or 3-9) so how much do y'all think I should get for the leupold?
You might find someone that would be willing to trade with you. There are some other hunting/shooting forums that have some very active classifieds.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I'm not sure. How much do they go for new? My general rule of thumb is to price used Leupolds about $50 below their new price and I often sell them. I just sold a VX-II 3-9x40. I was asking $250, but sold it for $240. It took a few weeks to sell which I thought was odd as most other Leupolds I've sold have sold very quickly. I think it's because I tried to sell it right at Christmas time though.
I believe new it was like 300 but not completly sure
Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my area used Leupold scopes normally sell for about 70% of their purchase price. Usually most other brands sell for about 50% of their purchase price, except for the really cheap scopes that sell for almost nothing. I see guys ask for more, but then I will see their adds again and again until they drop the price.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

if this is the newer VX and not a Vari x i would pay $200 and not any more
Old 01-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kb1
if this is the newer VX and not a Vari x i would pay $200 and not any more
I think it's the older vari x which is better?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
In my area used Leupold scopes normally sell for about 70% of their purchase price. Usually most other brands sell for about 50% of their purchase price, except for the really cheap scopes that sell for almost nothing. I see guys ask for more, but then I will see their adds again and again until they drop the price.
I've had the best luck selling mine locally so it may be different in different area's. I sold a 2-7x33 VX-I for $175. It took maybe a week and a half or so to sell. I got lots of offers for $150 shortly after I listed it, but held out a few days and got $175. It costs $210 new so it wasn't anywhere near 30% off. Then I sold a 2-7x33 Vari-X II for $170. I apparently under priced this one. I figured the VX-I is basically the same as the old Vari-X II, so I figured they should sell for similar prices. I listed this one and within minutes had a local guy saying he would take it. Within a couple of hours I had several more people contact me saying they would take it, but unfortunately I had to tell them I'd already sold it. I'm not sure what I should have priced that one at, but it sell way to fast. Then the VX-II 3-9x40 I just recently sold took the longest to sell. I had it listed for $250, and only got one serious offer and that was for $200. I listed it in a local classifieds paper too, and a guy called me from there offering $240. After I sold it to him, the guy that offered $200 came back offering more, but I'd already sold it. This one took about 3 weeks to sell, but it was right at Christmas time. I'm not sure if it was that, or if it was priced on the high side.

Anyway, that's my experience. That's one of the biggest things I like about Leupold, they are very easy to sell, and hold their value very well. Maybe prices are different in different area's though.