Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Another "light transmission" scope question >

Another "light transmission" scope question

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Another "light transmission" scope question

Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another "light transmission" scope question

Ok. I was reading the previous thread about light transmission through different scopes....here's my question.

I have 3.5-10X40 Leupold VX3 on my "go to" rifle. If I went out and spent $2000 on a Swarovski Z6 scope with it's 30mm tube, would I see much difference?
Or one of their Z5 series with the same 1" tube as my Leupold?

I want to be able to see as well as possible at daylight and dusk, but I'm not much of a fan of an objective over about 40-42mm since I like my scopes mounted as low as possible.

What models of scopes would I have to go to see a REAL difference from what I've already got? Or would the difference be minimal?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would personally stick with what you have. Leupolds are known for there ability to gather light at dawn and dusk.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 PM
bigcountry

Easiest way to get more light gathering capability is larger objective. I actually am not totally impressed with the Swarovski. Maybe my eyes can't register the quality. My gunsmith will not shoot anything but the austrian glass.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Easiest way to get more light gathering capability is larger objective
While it is true that a larger objective lens transmits more light it is only part of the story. A scope is going to throw a specific diameter "circle" of light (exit pupil diameter) depending on the magnification and the diameter of the objective lens.

A human eye will only dilate so large. If a scope is creating an exit pupil larger than what your eye is dilated to then you eye can't process the light that the scope is transmitting. Conversely if a scope is creating an exit pupil that is smaller than the diameter of your eye then the image will appear dim in comparison.

A human eye will dilate to approximately 5mm in diameter during low light hunting conditions... smaller in bright light but we aren't worried about bright conditions. In order to figure out the appropriate objective lens diameter for a given magnification you simply divide the objective lens diameter by the magnification. The answer is the diameter of light that the scope is creating where it is coming in contact with your eye. A scope that creates an exit pupil that is larger than 5mm isn't going to appear any brighter in low light than a scope that creates a 5mm exit pupil.

For example an 8X56 isn't going to appear any brighter than an 8X40 because the 56mm scope is creating an exit pupil that's larger (7mm) than what the human eye can absorb.

Obviously this will vary slightly from person to person and young to old but 5mm is a good rule of thumb.

AS far as 30mm scopes go. They don't make a scope brighter. The amount of light being transmitted through the scope determined by the objective lens. What they do (assuming they actually have larger lenses inside the erector tube) is give the person behind the scope a more forgiving eye position front to back and side to side compared to a scope that has smaller internal lenses. Most 30mm scopes have the same size lenses inside the tube as do the 1" tubed scopes. Typically a 30mm tube simply gives the shooter a bigger range of adjustment.

What is going to make a real difference in image quality is the quality of glass (this starts with the purity of the raw sand), quality of the grinding and polishing of that glass, and the lens coatings applied to each lens surface. Generally speaking the more you pay for a scope the higher the quality the lenses and coatings are going to be.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Spike

I agree with your view of the article, continue to update Oh, look forward to

sharing more exciting.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:02 AM
bigcountry

Yea, have you delveloped many films and matched up the indexes?

Originally Posted by bigbulls
While it is true that a larger objective lens transmits more light it is only part of the story. A scope is going to throw a specific diameter "circle" of light (exit pupil diameter) depending on the magnification and the diameter of the objective lens.

A human eye will only dilate so large. If a scope is creating an exit pupil larger than what your eye is dilated to then you eye can't process the light that the scope is transmitting. Conversely if a scope is creating an exit pupil that is smaller than the diameter of your eye then the image will appear dim in comparison.

A human eye will dilate to approximately 5mm in diameter during low light hunting conditions... smaller in bright light but we aren't worried about bright conditions. In order to figure out the appropriate objective lens diameter for a given magnification you simply divide the objective lens diameter by the magnification. The answer is the diameter of light that the scope is creating where it is coming in contact with your eye. A scope that creates an exit pupil that is larger than 5mm isn't going to appear any brighter in low light than a scope that creates a 5mm exit pupil.

For example an 8X56 isn't going to appear any brighter than an 8X40 because the 56mm scope is creating an exit pupil that's larger (7mm) than what the human eye can absorb.

Obviously this will vary slightly from person to person and young to old but 5mm is a good rule of thumb.

AS far as 30mm scopes go. They don't make a scope brighter. The amount of light being transmitted through the scope determined by the objective lens. What they do (assuming they actually have larger lenses inside the erector tube) is give the person behind the scope a more forgiving eye position front to back and side to side compared to a scope that has smaller internal lenses. Most 30mm scopes have the same size lenses inside the tube as do the 1" tubed scopes. Typically a 30mm tube simply gives the shooter a bigger range of adjustment.

What is going to make a real difference in image quality is the quality of glass (this starts with the purity of the raw sand), quality of the grinding and polishing of that glass, and the lens coatings applied to each lens surface. Generally speaking the more you pay for a scope the higher the quality the lenses and coatings are going to be.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
I would personally stick with what you have. Leupolds are known for there ability to gather light at dawn and dusk.
Not in my opinion. There are PLENTY of other scopes around that compete equally with (or are better than) Leupold.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Three points;

#1 Remember the Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns

#2 Large companies have large marketing and advertising budgets

#3 Hard to make a blanket statement like; “ _ _ _ _ _ _ are great scopes”
Particularly if they have a big line.

Now, Light transmission - this is for you guys (far too much information for me).

http://www.huntinghunters.com/eye-re...a-rifle-scope/

http://randywakeman.com/Why%20Rifles...%20Mislead.htm

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-18-2010 at 05:49 PM.