Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Shotgun scope..trying to choose >

Shotgun scope..trying to choose

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Shotgun scope..trying to choose

Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Spike

Default Shotgun scope..trying to choose

I've got a Mossberg 835 pump shotgun with a cantilever barrel that I need to put a scope on.......I've been looking at a Nikon Slugster and the Leopold VX-1 shotgun scope.....If not these two, which scope would you guys recommend? I live in the midwest and most of my shots will be under a hundred yards I would imagine.
Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 AM
bigcountry

Nikon. VX1 sucks.

I do have a VXII 2-7 on my sluggun and love it. two years ago, my shoulder strap came undone while hanging on my tree 23ft in the air. It hit so hard it knocked the shell out of the gun. Scope was still zero'd. Amazing. I expected to climb down and see the scope trashed and the stock broke. When the VX's came out with 3piece body design, I was sceptical, but after that, I no longer worry about it.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Spike

I'm surprised.........You'd think since the Leopold VX-1 would be a descent scope ,since its made in the U.S.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:03 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Sewerdude
I'm surprised.........You'd think since the Leopold VX-1 would be a descent scope ,since its made in the U.S.
Glare is aweful. Lenses are second rate. And friction adjustments suck.

The good things about leupold are missing from this scope. Like a proper erector setup, and excellent coatings.

I would go for a 3200 slug scope or nikon. They quit making the VXII slug scope with parallax set to 75 yards, but you could get a VXII rifle with parallax set to 150 yards. No big deal

Old 09-22-2010, 07:17 AM
Spike

I'd really like to have a shotgun scope with the extended eye relief for just that reason..I do have a Nikon Omega on my muzzleloader which has worked out great....I just thought I see what people thought of the VX-1.
Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
You're a hard man,bc!
I must have gotten the only vx-1 shotgun scope worth a fart.Then I went to www.midwayusa.com and saw all those 5 star ratings on various models and powers which took it out of the fart category.I would recommend the leupold vx-1 1x4.The only thing you may not like is keeping magnification around 2.5x,which still gives a nice field of view without having to see the barrel in view.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 is the scope I have on all my shotguns
Old 09-22-2010, 01:49 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
You're a hard man,bc!
I must have gotten the only vx-1 shotgun scope worth a fart.Then I went to www.midwayusa.com and saw all those 5 star ratings on various models and powers which took it out of the fart category.I would recommend the leupold vx-1 1x4.The only thing you may not like is keeping magnification around 2.5x,which still gives a nice field of view without having to see the barrel in view.
Why do people take it so personally. I gave my reasons.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The good things about leupold are missing from this scope. Like a proper erector setup, and excellent coatings.
You summed this up very accurately. If you want a Leupold go with the VX-II or better.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why do people take it so personally. I gave my reasons.
No offense taken.Just Picking on you alittle.The VX-ll is nice.Prefer a VX-lll,though.As far as hunting scopes go,that's where my spending stops.Until then,the VX-1 will suffice!Have a great season!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.