Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
First benchrest scope >

First benchrest scope

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

First benchrest scope

Old 12-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First benchrest scope

I saw an ad somewhere that revived fond memories of my first benchrest rig. I remember starting out with a heavy barrel .222 built on a Winchester action, and using a 20X Unertl scope with external adjustments. That scope was huge. It was cumbersome for shooting groundhogs, but it was just the ticket on the bench. The rifle was changed a couple of times (went with Remington actions) but that scope was used for several years until the other guys started turning up with Leupold 24X target scopes, and I just had to have one. Wish I still had that old Unertl just to hang it on the wall in my office.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone else have any memory of the long Unertls?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, i do. Have a couple of rifles with the Unertl 10X scopes. One is a Winchester model 70 that was made in 1939. It is chambered in .220 Swift. Inherited that rifle and scope in 1952.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you take that Swift out to give it a bit of excercise occasionally. I have not looked through a Unertl for many years now. How does it compare with the modern scopes?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hope you take that Swift out to give it a bit of excercise occasionally.

i took the gun to the range last fall for the first time in about 10 years. Fired a couple very nice 300 yard groups using old Winchester 48 grain ammo.

I have not looked through a Unertl for many years now. How does it compare with the modern scopes?
Eye relief with that scope is somewhat critical but the glass is very clear. i had a rifle along that is fitted with a Leupold FX III 6X42 scope. The glass on the old Unertl appeared to be as clear as the Leupold glass.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
... I bought a 15X Ultra Varmint Unertl new in the box at Esman"s Sporting Goods in Pitcairn, PA. (Pittsburgh area) in about 1974, I believe. Paid $150.00 for it at that time. I still have it, posi-mounts and all. All adjustments are external, naturally. I had it on one of the best shooting rifles I ever owned for awhile... a Rem. 700 Heavy barrel Varmint in .243. Man, did that sweetie ever shoot!! I then had it on a 77V Ruger in .220 Swift, a #1 Ruger Varmint in 25-06, and it currently resides on a 77 HB Ruger in .280 Rem.

... I haven't shot that gun in quite awhile, but the last time I had it out for a going-over, I unscrewed the eyepiece caps and looked thru it.. just as sharp and clear as ever.

.... Last fall I saw one at a gun show and the seller had a $900.00 tag on it.

....Currently using a Bushnell 4200 6 X 24 Mil dot on my 700 actioned Lilja barreled .243 AI. Another great shooter....
Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jklm137
a paid fashion cheap LV handbags than her orca. Nevertheless wow gold Wang Xiao Yan eff the LV replica shop quantify is not questioning. Wang LV replica handbags Xiao Yan, though there are a lot wow power leveling of disarray, but she is not unintelligent, couple .
WTF!!!! is this sh*t!!!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jklm137
a paid fashion cheap LV handbags than her orca. Nevertheless wow gold Wang Xiao Yan eff the LV replica shop quantify is not questioning. Wang LV replica handbags Xiao Yan, though there are a lot wow power leveling of disarray, but she is not unintelligent, couple .

Dont' click on these. They are automated responses that contain viruses usually. Its not a real person posting.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme
Dont' click on these. They are automated responses that contain viruses usually. Its not a real person posting.
Thanks bigcountry! Thats the last thing I need, a virus. I barely know how to run the computer now!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Unertl 20X Programmer that was on a 6mm and now on my Anshutz 1413-22 cal. It's big, but very, very accurate.