Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Looking for perfect muzzleloader scope? >

Looking for perfect muzzleloader scope?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Looking for perfect muzzleloader scope?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on my Triumph
Old 12-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Hoz
Spike

I had a Vortex Viper, great scope!!!! But I got a great deal on a Leupold Ultimate slam, and switched it out. I really like both scopes. Try cameraland in NY for vortex, great bang for the buck.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
The above is a good choice as would one of the Vortex Vipers on clearance.
x2 on the Viper
Old 06-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Spike

weaver k4. i was getting 3 inch groups at 300yrds with it on my .243. now its on my muzzleloader and works just fine. 3 shotall touching at 100. what i want is a 2x or 2.5x but the only one i can find is a millet.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I once had a 20X spotting scope that could not let me see bullet holes in paper at just 100yds. Just want to voice what others have hinted at. I am pretty confident that most would agree that the "perfect muzzleloader scope" is not going to be in the 4-12, or 4-16 x 40-50mm range. Many ML shots are close in where a 2x or even 1x low end will be more useful with its greater field of view. On the far end, even with 200yd shots, 7-9x should be all you need, assuming you have quality optics.

You state your current scope does not have much clarity. I don't know how much you are willing to pay for your new scope but in general you would be better served with putting your money toward a lower power scope with high quality clear optics rather that going up in magnification.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
I once had a 20X spotting scope that could not let me see bullet holes in paper at just 100yds. Just want to voice what others have hinted at. I am pretty confident that most would agree that the "perfect muzzleloader scope" is not going to be in the 4-12, or 4-16 x 40-50mm range. Many ML shots are close in where a 2x or even 1x low end will be more useful with its greater field of view. On the far end, even with 200yd shots, 7-9x should be all you need, assuming you have quality optics.

You state your current scope does not have much clarity. I don't know how much you are willing to pay for your new scope but in general you would be better served with putting your money toward a lower power scope with high quality clear optics rather that going up in magnification.

BINGO. Well said.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

My comment is more or less an echo of others already posted. Unless you "need" that high an "X", anything in the 4X to 9X at the top should be plenty for shots out to 200 yards or so. If there is anything I have learned in the past 45 or so years of hunting is that scrimping on a scope is a mistake, and good money wasted. Obviously the top end stuff is going to be excellent ---- but these are in the $1250 - $2000 range. I have such scopes and attest that they may be your so referred to as "perfect" scope .... but you can get a great scope for far less. I would suggest that you look at the Elite line. I understand that the Bausch-Lomb Elite model numbering is changing, but I suspect that regardless of model number, in the $400-$450 range you'll get a good product. I also can from first hand experience strongly recommend the Ziess Conquest line and Leupold Vari-X III scopes. Something in the 1.5-6.... 2-8 .... 3-9x40mm would be a superb choice for a ML rifle.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Spike

I bought the vortex diamondback 3-9x40 for my Triumph its an awesome scope just beware the vortex scopes have the largest field of view and a smaller eye relief than the others so if you shooting a max load there's a good chanch of getting scope bite. I looked at the nikon omega, leupolds Saber and a redfield scope. The redfield is super clear and has a lot of eye relief that was my first choice but I didn't like the reticle pattern. Good luck choosing. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Want a great scope look into Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 or 3-9x50, even if you buy one used the warranty is still good, and they back up their scopes. I have them on most of my firearms, muzzleloaders, rifles, shotguns without a problem
Old 11-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have the leupold ultimate slam in 3-9x40 and I love it. The reticle is especially made for muzzleloader/shotgun and it can be had for 230 shipped from opticsplanet