Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
???Scope for 7MM Remington Mag >

???Scope for 7MM Remington Mag

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

???Scope for 7MM Remington Mag

Old 12-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Spike

Default ???Scope for 7MM Remington Mag

Hey Guys.....I just bought a Weatherby sub-moa 7MM Remington Magnum. I am leaning toward putting a leupold VX-3 4.5-14 with CDS dials on it. I cant afford to buy the Huskemaw right now. I will be using it for Mule Deer in Wyoming or Utah, so I might have some pretty long shots. Anyway I was wondering what you guys would do if you were in the same situation. I am open to hearing any suggestions you guys may have. Thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold which one you purchase is up to you
Old 12-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are so many excellent choices available when it comes to scopes. It really boils down to personal preference. I'm currently using Leupold, Sightron, and Zeiss and am happy with the performance of all three.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your "leaning" choice will do a fine job for what you are after. My limited experience hunting mule deer in eastern Montana is that you can expect to stalk well within range and shots over 300 yards are rare.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've learned that if you ask on this forum 98% of the guys are going to suggest Leupold because of the name on the scope. It doesn't matter if you can get a scope that's 10x better for half the price. If you ask on 24hourcampfire, SnipersHide, Opticstalk.com, or one of the many other forums you will find out that while Leupolds aren't horrible, you can get a lot better glass for the money. If you suggest anything other than a Leupold on here, you get told you don't know what you are talking about. So my suggestion is just do your research on more than one forum.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the reasons so many people like Leupold, is there great warranty and customer service, as well as being a great scope. You can buy a used Leupold, doesnt matter how old it is, the lifetime warranty still stands, it isnt just for the original owner, you dont have to have a recipt or a warranty card filled out. When they say lifetime warranty, they mean unlimited lifetime warranty on all of their Gold ring scopes and binoculars. Try that with Nikon or any other manufactor. That is why Leupolds hold there resale value better than other scope. A Swarovski Z6 only has a 10 year warranty, for $2000+ you would think you would get more than that.

Last edited by jrbsr; 01-17-2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: 1. No vulgar language or profanity - DO NOT try to bypass them with alternate characters or spellings.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's get this out of the way first - It doen't sound like this rifle will be meant to compete against the rifles one might find described in the sniper forums. The kind of quality and features necessary in those applications far exceed most hunters' budgets. You're talking optics mounts almost as expensive as rifles.

second - I have to agree that it's not necessary to take shots over 300 yards at western game provided one is even moderately competent at stalking.

I'm a bit concerned that some of the hype lately is leading hunters to purchase higher magnification rather than higher quality. Most optics manufacturers offer a number of lines and price points. I'd recommend that you first decide on how much you can reasonably spend. If you're looking at a VX3 in 4.5-14, you may want to look at a 3.5-10 in the Mark 4 line for a bit more. Same could be said of Burris, Nikon, Zeiss, ... Shop around. Big box stores rarely offer the best price.

Good optics aren't necessarily the ones with the highest magnification. For your application, I'd suggest that you'd be perfectly fine with a 3-9x. Your next dillema will be choice of reticle. MilDots and their variations might be "tacti-cool", but if you're not willing to develop the skills to use them, they're wasted. I've also become a fan of Leupold's TMR.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
One of the reasons so many people like Leupold, is there great warranty and customer service, as well as being a great scope. You can buy a used Leupold, doesnt matter how old it is, the lifetime warranty still stands, it isnt just for the original owner, you dont have to have a recipt or a warranty card filled out. When they say lifetime warranty, they mean unlimited lifetime warranty on all of their Gold ring scopes and binoculars. Try that with Nikon or any other manufactor. That is why Leupolds hold there resale value better than other scope. A Swarovski Z6 only has a 10 year warranty, for $2000+ you would think you would get more than that.
Leupold is not the only company that has a lifetime transferrable warranty. Just off the top of my head: Zeiss, Sightron, and Vortex offer the same thing. Just not sure if they have as much warranty practice as Leupold though.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

They mine as well just ask; What do you use ?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Leupold is not the only company that has a lifetime transferrable warranty. Just off the top of my head: Zeiss, Sightron, and Vortex offer the same thing. Just not sure if they have as much warranty practice as Leupold though.
Exactly Sightron and Vortex have just as good of a warranty as Leupold, if not better. I'm not sure about Zeiss. Leupolds warranty says they don't have to replace or repair the scope if the damage is caused by the user. Now I'm quite aware they usually either do, or work with you and charge a minimal amount. However, with the warranty written this way, they could stop at any time. Vortex has their warranty written so that it covers the scope even if the user damaged it.

Nikon also has a lifetime transferable warranty. I'm aware that their CS isn't as good as Leupold, Vortex, Sightron, etc, but they still have a lifetime warranty that applies to anyone even without a receipt. I've never had to use their warranty though, so I can't comment too much on it.

Actually, Leupold is the only scope company that I've had to deal with the warranty department of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.