Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Leupold - What does 3 piece mean? >

Leupold - What does 3 piece mean?

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Leupold - What does 3 piece mean?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Spike

Default Leupold - What does 3 piece mean?

I'm looking at picking up a Leupold VX-II scope and have read that they're "3 pieces". Just trying to figure out what that means.

Also, the reason I'm looking at Leupold is because they're the only one I can find who makes a quality scope in a gloss finish which will match the gun it's going on.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend you check into the Sightron Big Sky line. They make a 3-9 X 42 in gloss that will leave the (above mentioned) VXII in the dust.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

3 piece refers to the number of pieces used to make the tube (body of the scope).
Old 11-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ShaggyPA
I'm looking at picking up a Leupold VX-II scope and have read that they're "3 pieces". Just trying to figure out what that means.

Also, the reason I'm looking at Leupold is because they're the only one I can find who makes a quality scope in a gloss finish which will match the gun it's going on.
Well pretty guns and accessories while nice to look at, may or may not be successful for you in the field there could be draw backs to them.My Husqvarna, does has 2 very nice custom stocks 1 in synthetic on in high grade walnut.But for hunting it's with the original beech wood it came with.I can care less how baddly it gets scratched banged dented.The accuracy and scope is what counts, Get the best quality scope you can get.You seem to be self concious about what your setup is gonna look like to you and others at home, I am ,I'm the first to admit. But nobodies, gonna care what your setup looks like in the field. It's gonna come down to performance of you and your equipment.I use Leupold have one on my Husky, but I bought it years ago. 3 piece tubes I don't like personally, but Leupold does stand behind their product.There are better scopes for the price, but their warranty is one of the best.It's up to you, but I wouldn't base my scope choice on matching the scope with gun, so much as getting the best and most reliable scope for your hunting requirements with the money you want to spend.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-06-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 AM
bigcountry

I was aggitated when leupold went to the 3 piece design. But I own about 4 VX's. And can tell you, I had a sluggun drop 23ft (strap broke hanging in my tree), hit so hard it thru out the shells. And the gun was still on. I thought sure I would climb down and recticle would be broke.

I still prefer the older Vari-X III's. Not as clear as most VXIII's.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I was aggitated when leupold went to the 3 piece design. But I own about 4 VX's. And can tell you, I had a sluggun drop 23ft (strap broke hanging in my tree), hit so hard it thru out the shells. And the gun was still on. I thought sure I would climb down and recticle would be broke.

I still prefer the older Vari-X III's. Not as clear as most VXIII's.
23 ft wow. Glad you where weren't physically hurt.
How was the gun and mount and scope conditions after that drastic fall? I know you would of had to test fire it after that one.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:09 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
23 ft wow. Glad you where weren't physically hurt.
How was the gun and mount and scope conditions after that drastic fall? I know you would of had to test fire it after that one.
I test fired it after I got back in tree. At 20 yards, it hit. I didn't see any deer that night. Next day, went to the range, and dead on. I was shocked. There was snow on the ground, maybe that made a difference. I know if it was a wood stock, it would have cracked it. But the synthetic made it.

I was just worried It would have fired.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I test fired it after I got back in tree. At 20 yards, it hit. I didn't see any deer that night. Next day, went to the range, and dead on. I was shocked. There was snow on the ground, maybe that made a difference. I know if it was a wood stock, it would have cracked it. But the synthetic made it.

I was just worried It would have fired.
Yeah I eould be worried that it would have fired as well.
Glad you or noone else was hurt of the accident.
Must be a very strong and well made shot gun.
What make and model of gun?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Yeah I eould be worried that it would have fired as well.
Glad you or noone else was hurt of the accident.
Must be a very strong and well made shot gun.
What make and model of gun?
Browning Gold slugger.