Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Weaver K4 60-B

Old 10-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Spike

Default Weaver K4 60-B

Has anybody used these scopes, or know anything about them? I just inherited my Great-Grandpa's rifle (1951 Winchester Model 70 in .270win) and it has one of these mounted on it. All I've been able to tell is that it is a fixed 4x made in El Paso, TX.

I'd appreciate any info you could give me about the scope. I'd like to know the background of the model. I found it referenced as a sniper's scope at some point in history. Does it make for a good hunting scope?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Without trying to hurt your feelings, all I will say is that the Weaver 4X was the finest of 1960's technology.

The problem is - this is 2010 and scope technology has changed so drastically since that scope was made that it is now obsolete.

A short story I told the other night involved a K4 that my Uncles bought my grandfather for Christmas in 1962.
My grandfather died in 1978 and about 1986 - after a feud with my father, I asked my grandmother if I could possibly borrow his gun.

In the next five years, I believe that I shot 15 or more deer with it in several states and several seasons.

It had two problems.
One - was that you could not see the cross hairs until the ambient light was bright enough to illuminate them.

Two - was that it often fogged up. The old rule of thumb was that you kept the gun someplace cold all hunting season - so it wouldn't fog up. You never brought it indoors after a days hunt in freezing temperatures - because you would have problems with it the rest of the season after you did.

My dad had a falling out with Weaver in the 1970's after he purchased a new 2 x 7 scope and it failed multiple times.
He kept sending it back and they kept telling him that they had repaired it. A old hunting coat of his had a container of Fog Proof in the pocket 20 years later.

My dad had a wood burner in his kitchen and had almost zero humidity in the house and decided to tear it apart one night after a failed hunt. He found bread crumbs inside of the scope.
I guess the technician assigned to fix it - did it on his lunch hour.

He cleaned it and sealed it and a year or two later, he took it off and replaced it with a Redfield Widefield. I have the gun and it still has the Redfield Widefield and it has never been adjusted in 25 years, not one click.

That tells me that his Remington 760 Gamemaster is pretty durn accurate and that the Weaver vintage scope was a piece of crap.

I had marks for years in the blade of my hunting knife from a time when I took my grandfathers K4 apart in the middle of the woods on opening morning of doe season - because it fogged up.

I don't know if it ever fogged up again after that, but I took it off several years later and replaced it with a cheap Bushnell 3 x 9 and was several times better off then with the original K4 Weaver.