Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Sighting in a new Red Dot? >

Sighting in a new Red Dot?

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Sighting in a new Red Dot?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sighting in a new Red Dot?

How do you folks go about sighting in a newly installed red dot non-magnified scope on my turkey gun? Thanks...
Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use light loads like field loads to established the point of aim. Start out real close, like 10-15 yards, so you can really tell which way to adjust your sight..

Once you get it dead on at close range, move out to 40 yards or so and center your pattern.. THEN shoot a few of whatever heavy turkey loads you prefer to fine tune your sighting..
Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I do the same as Pygmy. I start with trap loads at 10 yards and try to punch out a 25 cent piece orange dot.

Once I have that done I then shoot at 20, 30, 40, with the real Mccoy -- real turkey loads I will use.

Far easier and less punishing doing the bulk with light loads.

Now the other thing that affects your pattern is your choke tube and then the load you are using and one may need to experiemtn with a few different types.

I use a 3 inch - Winchester Supreme #4 copper plated lead using a Hastings Choke.

Many here use Rino or Jelly Head chokes and then Heavy Shot -

I do have my gun patterned out to 55 yds easy but I will not shoot a bird until it is less than 30 or closer. I like them close.

The reason I went to a scope (use a Nikon Monarch) is my eyesight does not allow me to see a back ramp with a front bead on open sights any longer.

But this thread will be moved to the gun forum to see if we can get other user suggestions,

JW