Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

scope cleaning issue

Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default scope cleaning issue

Hey everyone,
I have an issue. I have a Leupold VX-L scope and cleaned it in December last year with Nikon's scope cleaning wipes. I went to shoot the other day and noticed that the lens had hazziness/swirls on the outer edge and a bright clean looking spot in the middle. When you shoudler the gun and shoot you can't tell, unless....the sun is in your direction then it looks hazzy or fuzzy....any idea what I can do to get this lens clean again or get the blurriness out? What do you guys use to clean your lens? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

I just use lens cleaning tissue like you get for camera lenses and then fog it up with my breath. It shouldn't leave any residue like some cleaners can.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

I recently bought a Leupold scope for my son and I was sent for free a Cabelas Lenspen for cleaning optics.I think it sells for 9.99.I cleaned a Burris scope on my rifle and a pair of Nikon binoculars and it cleaned up better than anything I have ever used.After using this I will never use anything else I dont see how you could get it any cleaner. Mike
Old 09-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got a Zeiss cleaning kit years ago. I figured it was as good and safe as I was going to find.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
Banned

My guess is that either you scratched the scope or you washed off part of the lens coating. Some scopes come with some sort of Rain guard applied at the factory and your wipe disturbed it.

About your best bet is to use some Windex and see if you can't clean it up a little. If you did scratch it - send it back. That is what a warranty is for.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

So I called Leupold, and they told me it is likely residue from the cleaner and to use rubbing alcohol to clean it up to 70% concentration, so I tried that and it cleared it right up...just for your own knowledge in case this every happens to you, thought it might help.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
My guess is that either you scratched the scope or you washed off part of the lens coating. Some scopes come with some sort of Rain guard applied at the factory and your wipe disturbed it.

About your best bet is to use some Windex and see if you can't clean it up a little. If you did scratch it - send it back. That is what a warranty is for.
Sorry Chief, I say NEVER use windex on scope lens'. I prefer the Zeiss pre-moistened wipes myself.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Zeiss pre-moistened wipes also,never had a problem...