Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Need a 300 yd scope

Old 06-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Need a 300 yd scope

Hey fellows,
I bought a nice 270 for long range shooting but it came with a substandard scope. What numbers should I be looking for on the scope and what is a decent scope that is suitable for that range.? price range ..around 200.00 bucks

Appreciate your time,
CHuck7
Old 06-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Go with a Nikon or Burris 3x9x40 for that budget. I have both, and I would personally pick the Burris over the Nikon, but the Burris I have was made in the USA and not wherever they are making them now.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nikon ProStaff are great cheap scopes. I prefer Nikon Monarch because they're higher quality glass but they're more expensive.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Appreciate the feedback...
Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Go to Ebay and buy a used Leupold. You should be able to pick up a VXII 3x9x40 for that money, no problem. Forget the Proshaft and Buryuss.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-Vari-XII...item439faedae9

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEUPOLD-3X9-Hunt...item255b12a940

Here's two for ya. Drop one in a set of Talley LW's and you'll be happy for a long time....
Old 06-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Leupolds, while good scopes, they are the most over rated scopes out there. I sure as heck wouldn't pay $200 for a used VariX-I or VariX-II with 20 year old lens technology.

In order of preference all of these scopes will serve you well for a lifetime.
Burris FF-II 3-9X40
Sightron S2 3-9X42
Nikon Buskmaster 3-9X40
Bushnell 3200 3-9X40

If you do want a Leupold don't go below a VX-II (not the outdated VariX)

If you can save to fork out $400 get yourself a Meopta meopro 3-9X42. You won't regret spending the extra money. Hunting season is a ways off. Plenty of time to come up with another $200.

Last edited by bigbulls; 06-04-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks alot guys...and Bigbulls
Old 06-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Leupolds, while good scopes, they are the most over rated scopes out there. I sure as heck wouldn't pay $200 for a used VariX-I or VariX-II with 20 year old lens technology.

In order of preference all of these scopes will serve you well for a lifetime.
Burris FF-II 3-9X40
Sightron S2 3-9X42
Nikon Buskmaster 3-9X40
Bushnell 3200 3-9X40

If you do want a Leupold don't go below a VX-II (not the outdated VariX)

If you can save to fork out $400 get yourself a Meopta meopro 3-9X42. You won't regret spending the extra money. Hunting season is a ways off. Plenty of time to come up with another $200.
Those are great choices. The only two I can think of I'd add in there are the Vortex Diamondback and the Nikon Team Primo's. The Burris would probably be my choice though.

I've tried Leupold VX-I's and I don't think they are good at all. I've owned two. Both have quit holding zero and had to be sent in for repair. Neither are that impressive in low light or even clarity during the day. The friction adjustments suck. I just don't see anything really good about them. Aren't they supposed to be the same as the old Vari X II's? I compared them to a Tasco and Simmons during daylight and couldn't tell a difference. A few friends looked through the Tasco and the Leupold as said the Tasco seemed clearer. I couldn't see a difference though. In low light I compared it to 2 Simmons. In both cases I could see slightly more with the Simmons but it wasn't a huge difference. Both kind of sucked. I'm not saying get a Simmons or Tasco, because they certainly aren't the most quality scopes out there. That's why I think the Leupold is so bad, because they were just as good or better. Plus they have held up for years where as the first Leupold had to be sent in for repair 2 times in 2 years. The second one I got repaired then sold it.

The Burris Fullfield II I have blows both the Leupold and the cheap scopes out of the water clarity wise both at day or night. When comparing side by side the difference is amazing. The Burris is a great scope, actually holds zero, and actually has decent turrets that you can hear and feel click and that actually move the cross hairs where you tell it too.

Now I've heard the VX-II and up are a ton better. However, I'm hesitant to give them a try after my experience with their cheaper scope. Plus from everything I've read, while they are better you can still do much better for the money with other brands.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:58 AM
Banned

If you want to spend $400, then get this:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...s/fx-3-6x42mm/

Made in the USA is over-rated too, just as stellar customer service is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.