Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Opinions on the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, MilDot >

Opinions on the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, MilDot

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Opinions on the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, MilDot

Old 01-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Spike

Default Opinions on the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42, MilDot

I am new to rifles, been shooting handguns for some time now, and I'd like to get everyones opinion on the above listed scope. It will be going on a .308 rifle which will primarily be used at the range between 100-600 yds. I would eventually like to move up to 1000yds as my skill level increases (hopefully).
It's likely that I will be doing some hunting with this rifle from time to time also, therefore a variable power scope is what I'm leaning towards.

I can have this scope for $350.00 shipped. I have searched everywhere online (countless articles and forums) trying to find the best scope to suit my needs for under $400.
If you do not have any experience with this scope feel free to suggest another brand, model, magnification within the budget. Anything you feel is the best bang for my buck will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Spike

A Nikon Monarch is a good scope. I would lean towards a BDC over a Mildot. Using a mildot for ranging is complicated. Outside of a military/defense application where you don't want the signature of an laser rangefinder, there's really not much use. Also, the dots on a mildot will be relatively large covering 1 yard at 1000 yards. Finally, at 1,000 yards, if your budget can stand to go with a 50mm objective I think you'll find it worth the extra although the 42mm should be adequate.

Also in that price range you can get a Sightron SII series scope.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use Burris scopes (signature select line), but I use Nikon Monarch's for my binos.

The Monarch line is excellent (okay, very good), certainly for the money.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/scopes_price_class.htm

Look here for price comparison shopping;

http://www.opticsplanet.net/riflescopes.html

Good luck - I think it's a good buy, IMO
Old 02-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have the scope you are asking about, but, I do have the monach 5.5 x 16.5 with the regular reticle and I don't like the scope in the higher magnifications. Above 10 power, it fuzzes up and is hard to use at long ranges. I've had a couple of monach 3x9's and really liked them but to me, that extra magnification above 10 power is a waste on the monarch.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check the Vortex Viper line-up. The 4-12 X 40 with the dead hold BDC reticle is good and withing your price range. I'd recommend you check out the Sample List over at S.W.F.A.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Monarch... very nice scope. No complaints here.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Great opinions everyone!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
This is not correct, on its calibrated power a dot in a mil-dot reticle is 1/4 mil wide so it covers up 9" at 1000 yards
RR
My bad. I thought this reticle was in the first focal plane
Old 04-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with quickdraw, the mil dot would not be my choice if you are looking to get into long range or competition shooting. I would spring for the larger, adjustable windage and elevation knobs and a fine or 1/4" dot retacle.