Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Another Leupold Failure >

Another Leupold Failure

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Another Leupold Failure

Old 11-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another Leupold Failure

So I'm sure most of you know that I've not had good luck with Leupold products and honestly probably wouldn't buy them again. I've been told on here I must have gotten a lemon as the majority of them are good. Well, I only know two people other than myself who have Leupold scopes. One of them got one last year on a muzzle loader he bought used. The other I think purchased it new like me. As I've said in the past 2 of us have both had issues with the scope not holding zero. The other one sold his after he got it bck from Leupold before seeing if it was fixed. I remounted mine. Luckily this failure wasn't of my scope this time. The third friend that got his last year liked the scope last year but said he hadn't used it enough to give a valid opinion. I takked to him at the begenning of this year and he said he really liked it. This was a week ago from today. We shot our guns to make sure they were lined up and all was well. So today he decided to shoot a target and show us how well his gun shot. Not only was it no longer shooting in the right spot he completely nissed the target. Not knowing what was going on he shot it a few more times. Turns out his scope is now bad doing the exact same thing mine did as well as my buddies. It's adjusting itself and the poi is jumping around. I don't see how anyone can recoomend these scopes. A 3 for 3 failure rate is 100% failure rate. I find it highly unlikely that all 3 of us just happened to get a lemon if it's normally a good brand. They seem like overpriced crap to me. There customer servce is good but for that price I want a quality product that works not just good customer service. Even with cheap 30_40 dollar scopes not everyone I know has had problems.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Spike

My wife and I have Leupold VariX-III on a .243 and a 300 Wby Mag at least 5 years now and we have done local deer hunting each season and 3 trips to Quebec for caribou with no problems at all.

I also have a Leupold VariX-I on a 30.06 this is the second season of deer hunting, no problems.

We never seem to need to change our scope settings at all, but always use the same ammo year after year.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I wonder who the next . . .

company is ?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

In fairness I have numerous Leupold scopes and have not had any trouble with any of them. My scopes are mostly FX III and FX II models and they are fine scopes.

The Leupold Rifleman scopes and the VX-1 scopes have those awful friction adjustments-no clicks. Some of their other scopes may have friction adjustments as well. These scopes are made in China.

In the mid 70s Weaver went to friction adjustments on some of their scopes and they are total trash. They sometimes do adjust themselves, usually vertically.

You do sometimes get what you pay for.

http://www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm

Leupold scopes. In this price range, these are amongst the best made scopes in the world. The VX-I uses friction style windage and elevation adjustments and is coated with magnesium fluoride.

Last edited by falcon; 11-07-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had zero problems with Leupold and neither has any buddies of mine. Probably at least a dozen scopes between us all.
We mainly use VX-II, VX-III and Mark4's.

What kind of base and rings are you all using because that is a big part to mounting a scope on a gun. I stick with Leupold brand.

Also what models are these scopes you talk about?

Last edited by pnut; 11-07-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

never owned a loupy and never will,i've seen many problems with these scopes on friends rifles. i always thought they were way over priced.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Never had a problem, Which model Leupold are you talking about?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had many Leupold's over the years, not a single problem. I suspect that there are details that aren't being told. Maybe something like the gun got dropped or improperly mounted, something along those lines. While I will admit that it is possible to get a defective product, I think it is more likely that something else is part of the equation here
Old 11-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
I've had many Leupold's over the years, not a single problem. I suspect that there are details that aren't being told. Maybe something like the gun got dropped or improperly mounted, something along those lines. While I will admit that it is possible to get a defective product, I think it is more likely that something else is part of the equation here
I Agree.....
Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Spike

I have a Vari-X-III that I've had mounted on the same rifle and hunted deer with for the past 5 years and never had to resight it during that time. I don't know too many others personally who have Leupold scopes on their rifles but it certainly is the first I've heard of them not being dependable. Guess I'll keep mine though....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.