Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
question on shiming a scope >

question on shiming a scope

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

question on shiming a scope

Old 10-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default question on shiming a scope

Hey, need help with this scope, was siteing my buddies scope in the other day, don't have anymore clicks to go on the scope. we need to raise the cross hairs up, its set as high as it will go, and is shooting about an inch low at 100 yrds. I'm thinking we need to shim the back scope base up a little to solve this problem. what can I shim it with ? ( aluminum foil ) any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks, Steve
Old 10-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try an old plastic shotgun shell hull or cut strips from an aluminum soda can.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have your friend buy a quality set of rings for the rifle and eliminate the use of shims.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have your friend buy a quality set of rings for the rifle and eliminate the use of shims.
+1
i install a lot of scope mounts, rings and scopes. With quality products there is no need to shim. All Simmons rings, some Weaver rings and some Leupold rings are now made in China: They are pretty sorry. Had a heck of a time with made in China rings and mounts. Now i refuse to us them at all.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:47 AM
Spike

??? would you shim the scope OR would it be better to shim the base??

Brian
Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know where Scooter got the info that Leupold bases and rings are made in China, but they are not. This is how bad info get started on a quality product. Below is a comment from Leupold on your China venture. Find out the FACT b4 posting your opinion.
You have read wrong. All of our rings and bases are made here in the U.S. Thank you for the inquiry and if you need any further assistance call our technical support team at 1-800-LEUPOLD
Old 11-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know where Scooter got the info that Leupold bases and rings are made in China, but they are not. This is how bad info get started on a quality product. Below is a comment from Leupold on your China venture. Find out the FACT b4 posting your opinion.
You have read wrong. All of our rings and bases are made here in the U.S. Thank you for the inquiry and if you need any further assistance call our technical support team at 1-800-LEUPOLD
BS. Do some research before you can an adult a liar.

The cheaper Leupold rings and bases are made in China. Look for made in China on the package of the some of the Leupold bases and rings sold in Wal-Mart. The ones that are made in China are junk.

I have at least 10 Leupold scopes. Many have Leupold mounts made in the USA and they are quality products. Leupold has recently become very evasive when questioned about the origin of their products and I ain't buying any more of them.

Some Leupold binoculars are also made in China. This includes their green ring Mesa 8X42 binoculars.

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars...black.cfm#tabs

Q1: Where are these binoculars made?
A: Leupold Green Ring Mesa 8x42 binoculars are made in China.

Another one:

Leupold 53546 Wind River Sequoia 45x60 Spotting Scope

http://www.mcsports.com/product/inde...ductId=2866313

Country Of Origin : China
Another one:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_RXB-IV.htm

Although made in China to Leupold's specifications ..............
http://shootersforum.com/showthread....stpost&t=33586

About 2 months ago, I purchased one of the Wind River Sequoia spotters. Yes, it is made in China. This was to replace old Redfield that I had been using for the last 25 years. This Sequoia was a huge disapointment. It wasn't as clear as the one I was replacing. I returned it and bought a Bushnell Elite.

Last edited by falcon; 11-03-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

shimming any scope is just asking for problems,from bending the scope to the scope slipping on recoil. put the right mounts on that gun and you won't need to shim.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hope this helps................

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html
Old 11-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by steviebiggun
Hey, need help with this scope, was siteing my buddies scope in the other day, don't have anymore clicks to go on the scope. we need to raise the cross hairs up, its set as high as it will go, and is shooting about an inch low at 100 yrds. I'm thinking we need to shim the back scope base up a little to solve this problem. what can I shim it with ? ( aluminum foil ) any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks, Steve
we had the same problems about 20yrs ago on a scope and shimmed it with a piece of banding material of from a crate,it worked fine.
i don't know what kind of scope you have but buying a good pair of ring bases would be the proper way to do it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.