Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
 Got my new Scope today BAD NEWS >

Got my new Scope today BAD NEWS

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Got my new Scope today BAD NEWS

Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got my new Scope today BAD NEWS

Got my Brand new Nikon Monarch in the mail today. put it on leveled it up and took it out got the elevation right and started for the left and right and when it was shooting about 1 foot right i went to adjust it and it ran out of adjustment. called nikon and they jsut said oh yea that happens send it back and we will get you a new one. so i told them i'll send it back n they can give me my money back that i'm done with thier products. this spring my very good friend bought a nikon rangfinder scope and it was no good. and about a month alter he got another monarch and it was no good so i'm done with them i think i'm gettin a burris black diamond or a VX 3 what scope do you guys think is better the burris or VX 3 also considering the new vortex viper. also is a 8x32 too much power i found a 6-24 but it's got a balistic dot and i want fine plex witch is what the 8-32 is. the price is just about the same what do you think?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got my new Scope today BAD NEWS

While it is possible to get a bad scope I think there has to be more to this story. What type of bases do you have on the gun?, did you bore sight it before shooting?, are you sure that the bases are properly aligned to the bore? Before you get all upset about people asking these questions you are the one who said that you can hit at 600 + yds and then missed the shot at 300. Nikon has a very good reputation and produces a quality product.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nikon makes quality scopes. Every company will have "lemons" that slip thru quality control. I would give the Nikons another try, I think they are better value scopes than the Burris.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 with the previous comments. Nikon makes good stuff. If not, I'd get the VX3 over a Burris. I'm not knocking Burris, I just think the Leupy is better.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

yea i think i'm gettin a VX 3 and the reason i am fed up with nikon is cause this is not the 1st time i think that they are goin down hill. as for my rings and bases the base was installed at cabelas and i bought Wever rings for it. i no the scope was level to cause i have the tool you put on the scope and barrel and use a straight line to make sure its' all lined up. i just think that if nikon was as good as people say then why have between me and a good friend sent back 3 now
Old 07-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bases installed by Cabelas, Weaver rings............................................. .just wondering.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Spike

I have read some reviews of the Monarchs not holding their zero from year to year. Read some of the reviews on the cabelas web site. The people who don't have this problem with this scope say that the glass is extremely good! I have heard that Nikon makes the Glass for the VX1, VXII and VXIII. (Leupold doesn't make their own glass but puts together very well made scopes).
Leupold VXI = Nikon Prostaff (Glass only)
Leupold VXII = Nikon Buckmaster (Glass only)
Leupold VXIII = Nikon Monarch (Glass only)

I have also heard feedback from other people that work at sporting goods stores that the Nikon customer service is much faster (and in turn better) than Leupold recently. That can mean a lot when buying a new scope.

The Leupold VXIII (with Roman Numerals) were all on sale at cabelas a while back. They then came out with the Leupold VX3 (which is the same but the improved the one spring I think the one that holds the zero and they painted the outside rim of the glass black to give a little better clarity).

I would give the Monarch another try (the reviews on cabelas site rave about the clarity). And with better customer service for a lower price you can't go wrong! If it doesn't work out the second time then switch.

Good Luck!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Fork Horn

yea i have decided to try it again they are goin to be sending me a new one soon.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive owned a Varix 3, and currently own a VX3, and IMO they are way over rated and overpriced, unfortunately I didnt realize this until I bought a zeiss conquest , same price, much clearer and better resolution . The leupy are very well constucted and a bit lighter than the conquest, but the glass is no better a bushnell 3200 , a sightron sI or a burris fulfeild II, all of which Ive owned and cost half what a VX3 cost. Do yourself a favor, get a zeiss conquest if you decide to not keep the nikon. Never owned a nikon.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 07-09-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by thndrchiken
While it is possible to get a bad scope I think there has to be more to this story. What type of bases do you have on the gun?, did you bore sight it before shooting?, are you sure that the bases are properly aligned to the bore? Before you get all upset about people asking these questions you are the one who said that you can hit at 600 + yds and then missed the shot at 300. Nikon has a very good reputation and produces a quality product.
I've got to agree with thndrchiken. The fact that the scope is off on the windage adjustment tells me that more than likely the mounts are off. By the sound of it the tool that you used just makes sure that the vertical crosshair is set perpenticular to the bore. The most likely cause to your problem is how the base was mounted. There is usually quite a bit of slop in the mounting holes in the base. This slop is there to allow for some misalignment with the tapped holes in the guns receiver. A missalignment of just 1/5 of one degree will through the shot off by the amount you experienced.

Quick Reply: Got my new Scope today BAD NEWS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.