Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Alpen anyone?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Spike

Default Alpen anyone?

Did a search and didn't come up with anything for Alpen riflescopes, but I see you can sometimes get good deals on ebay since they're not that well known. Anyone have one and care to give thier 2 cents? If you have one, make sure you say which model line. They have an upper "apex" and a lower "kodiak". Like to hear anything about either.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Alpen anyone?

I try to avoid the lower end optics. For that reason I wouldn't want an Alpen. Check out the Bushnell 4200 elites. You can get a 3-9 for less than $260. That's a great value in a mid-level scope. If you've got $, either Zeiss, Swaro or S & B are the clear (pun intended) winners.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

You usually get what you pay for in optics.I don't thinkI've ever heard of Alpen scopes. Spend a couple of hundred or more for a quality scope and you won't be wasting your money. You might be able to find one of the recently discontinued Nikon Monarch scopes online for about $210, and they are nice scopes.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Spike

Well, I'm not sure I would classify them in the low quality range (although they may well be), but thier price doesn't reflect that. The Apex line cost whata mid level scope does starting at about $240 and up. I believe they are a small company that is trying to find it's place and make a name for themselves. I'm just wondering if they do make a product that's as good as the Nikon Monarch, Burris Fullfield, or Bushnell elite lines. They have the same lifetime warranty as the big guys. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone out there has one. Since they are a fairly unknown name, you can sometimes get them on ebay for 1/3 of what they cost at Dicks, or Sportsman Warehouse. I don't think I'd buy oneretail since you can get a proven scope from one of the other guys at the same price.However, if I could get one on ebay for $100+ less than retail, and IF they are decent, then why not? That's why I was asking on this forum.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 PM
c j
Typical Buck

I don't have an Alpen scope, nor have I even looked through one. I do have a set of Alpen binos, though. To be perfectly honest with you, I'd never heard of them until my wife bought them for me as either a birthday or Christmas gift a few years back. My initial thought was that they were some cheap no-name brand, but they're actually pretty nice. Most of my hunting buddies have mid-level Leupolds or Nikons and (they agree) the Alpens I have are the same (if not better) than theirs.

Some of the guys I've talked to at Sportsman's Warehouse have said that they have a tough time selling other brands for quite a bit more coin when the Alpens compare so favorably. (That doesn't appear to stop them from pushing the hell out of Nikons, though! Is there an explanation for that, btw?)

Again, I don't have any experience withAlpen scopes, but my point is that I wouldn't dismissthe companyas being low-end junk stuff.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Spike

I also have a pair of Alpen binoculars, 10X42; and they are very good. Clear bright lens, sharp all the way to theedges. Very well made and look and feel like a quality glass. Normally, I don't like 10X Binoculars. Mine were sold by Aldi, a grocery chain that my wife shops at. Every week they have special sale items. They were selling these for $50.00, when they had four left they marked them down to $20.00 (usual practice on special items). I said what the heck and bought a pair. After opening them and trying them out and comparing them to my other binoculars, I went back andpurchased the other three pair and gave them away as gifts. I met a Aplen rep at a trade show a year later and told him about my purchase. He couldn't believe they sold them so cheap. He said they normally sold for $175.00.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

No info on their scopes , but their binos are great for the money! work well in low light, and Im a little more comfortable trekking into the unknown with them on then a pair for $400+ not to mention a lifetime warranty.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

I have been there man. When I first got into hunting, I was married 2 whole weeks. We made little money and had lots of bills. So, I was forced to buy the cheaper priced gear. The advice I got from everyone was to "save up" and buy a leupold, swarvski or ziess and nothing less. Wasnt an option. 600 for a scope? Spending that would mean we didnt eat for a month. Anyway, I am not going to tell you to buy a 600 dollar scope but I will say buy the best you can. The bushnell 3200 elite series scopes are very nice for the money, I have three nikon prostaff 3-9X40 scopes and I paid 150 for each of them. For the money, they are the best. for about 120 you can get a pentax gameseeker which is a nice one as well. Good luck. EJ