Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Nj surf fisherman

Old 08-22-2002, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nj surf fisherman

I was just wondering when the cow bass and huge jumbo blues start migrating back south and pass by? Thanks for the info. I will be fishing in LBI area. thanks

Brian

Old 08-29-2002, 12:53 PM

Default RE: Nj surf fisherman

Brian, in about three weeks, after a couple cool nights in a row, the mullet are gonna start pouring out of the backbays and rivers, followed by the other bait. That's when it starts, but any time after that could find big fish coming through. The weeks leading up to Thanksgiving are the best time for the cows, with many considering the Thanksgiving weekend the best possible days of the year to fish.
I'd say the first cows start showing in mid Oct in any numbers, but Nov is when the bulk of them pass by. Weather is too iffy in the fall to predict it down to a couple weeks, the direction of the wind determines if the bait gets blown off shore, or blown tight to the beach. No matter where the bulf of the big fish are, you'll CATCH the most during and after a good east wind, or God willing, a good late-October Nor'easter. It's all about the wind and the water temps.
A week of cooler than avg temps and East wind is the ticket during Oct and Nov.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 09-01-2002, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

6ptsika. thanks I was hoping you would bite and give me some good info like this. I guess I will have to wait a little longer before I head out. Guess I will be hunting some more then get the rods ready to a good fight.

6pt, My wife and I are looking to buy a house in Little egg harbor twp. We are putting a bid on a house out that way this week and hopfully we could work something out and get the house. But I was wondering if you know anything about that area as for fishing. the house we are looking at and hopfully will own is backed up to Bass river state forrest and I mean its on an acre of gound but after that its Bass river state forrest. Also I am just 5 minutes from the water way down in that area and was wondering if you know the area and were is a good place to start my search for some good fishing grounds. I know we are very very close to mystic Islands so if that is any more help as towards location I would appreciate any and all help. thanks

Brian

Old 09-04-2002, 01:10 PM

445, the most popular spot down there is at the end of Radio Road, Graveling Point. Nice access, and a pretty good spot. You can wade across the little creek at low tide and head out to the point, which I've done, but be darn sure to cross back before high tide, as it get's too deep to wade. Here is one of the few spots I know that actually do demand a long cast, the farther you get it out there, the better you'll do. There's some local sharpies who fish there all the time, watch them and you'll see what works during different tides and moons and months. It gets overrun by tourists early in the spring when the bass first show, but the rest of the year during the week it's great. You also have the seven bridges area, lots of sod banks to walk and plug from, but I haven't done it in years. I don't know details about the area, but I do know there's lots of places to fish, and a variety of methods and species to try. I'll try to think of some other good spots. Bass river forest may have a deer or two as well, if you were so inclined. I haven't been down there in a couple years either, but I imagine there's still critters to fling arrows at, there always used to be. Not real sure about the river bass fishery, but I'm sure they have a spawning population, and I imagine there's places where you can get them from shore, or a little boat. If you were looking into duck hunting, there's sure a lot more ducks and places to shoot ducks down there than there is in Tabernacle. The Edward Forsythe refuge may allow hunting, or there may be places to hutn around there, not sure.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 09-05-2002, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks 6pt, I am really bummed today. the House we wnated to put a bid on went under contract before we could put an offer down. Its off the market. I am depressed now and don't even want to think about house hunting now. I'm sick, this sucks. But if you do find another house down there I will use your info. thanks again.

Brian