Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 Good Speckle Trout Fishing Today >

Good Speckle Trout Fishing Today

Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Good Speckle Trout Fishing Today

Old 11-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Good Speckle Trout Fishing Today

Well, went to the bay and driffed fished under diving birds. Did pretty good picking up 17 speckle trout with my buddy. We launched my boat at day break and the temperature was about 40 degrees, but no wind. Cold boat ride for about 5 minutes and then we found the birds diving, about 100 of them. They were following the bait being chased up to the top by the trout. After about 2 hours we caught 17 and were getting hungry so went to eat. I have been deer/hog hunting the last 3 weeks and it has been killing me not being able to fish especially since I fish about 1 to 2 times a week throughout the entire year. Anyway, just though I'd post my pretty good day. BTW, the trout ranged from about 1 lb to 4 bls, which are good eating sizes.....ummmmmmm.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:39 PM

Default RE: Good Speckle Trout Fishing Today

ORIGINAL: atcfisherman

Well, went to the bay and driffed fished under diving birds. Did pretty good picking up 17 speckle trout with my buddy. We launched my boat at day break and the temperature was about 40 degrees, but no wind. Cold boat ride for about 5 minutes and then we found the birds diving, about 100 of them. They were following the bait being chased up to the top by the trout. After about 2 hours we caught 17 and were getting hungry so went to eat. I have been deer/hog hunting the last 3 weeks and it has been killing me not being able to fish especially since I fish about 1 to 2 times a week throughout the entire year. Anyway, just though I'd post my pretty good day. BTW, the trout ranged from about 1 lb to 4 bls, which are good eating sizes.....ummmmmmm.
Oh yea. To me, Specs taste good only when you cook 'em up fresh. I have had some that were frozen, and they were not very good.

Where are you catchin your Specs? I have caught quite a few in the Galveston Bay area.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Fork Horn

I mostly fish upper Trinity bay, which is above Galveston bay. I go out of the gou hole marsh boat ramp and go through a series of about 4 miles of marsh bayous and out to the upper trinity bay. There are several small structures and reefs I fish.

As far as speckled trout tasting after freezing, this is how I freeze them. After I clean them, I throughly wash them with cold water, then soak them in milk or buttermilk for about 15 minutes in the frige. Then I wash them again with cold water and freeze them using a food saver vacuum pack system. This system pulls out much of the remaining liquids. Once I pull a pack out of the freezer, I place it in a luke warm water bath for about 15 minutes. Then I open it up and the filets come out just perfect and are ready for the fryer.

Another way I do it is after the milk soaking, I pat dry them with a towel and them bread/season them how I want. Then freeze them in a bag with no water. This method will last for about 3 - 6 months and is great. Heartz Chicken does theirs this way and their fish is very good, at least the one near me.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:36 AM

I mostly fish upper Trinity bay, which is above Galveston bay. I go out of the gou hole marsh boat ramp and go through a series of about 4 miles of marsh bayous and out to the upper trinity bay. There are several small structures and reefs I fish.

As far as speckled trout tasting after freezing, this is how I freeze them. After I clean them, I throughly wash them with cold water, then soak them in milk or buttermilk for about 15 minutes in the frige. Then I wash them again with cold water and freeze them using a food saver vacuum pack system. This system pulls out much of the remaining liquids. Once I pull a pack out of the freezer, I place it in a luke warm water bath for about 15 minutes. Then I open it up and the filets come out just perfect and are ready for the fryer.

Another way I do it is after the milk soaking, I pat dry them with a towel and them bread/season them how I want. Then freeze them in a bag with no water. This method will last for about 3 - 6 months and is great. Heartz Chicken does theirs this way and their fish is very good, at least the one near me.

Anyway, hope this helps.
I will have to try that. I love to fish the marshes also. The marshes that I fish are on the inland side, just west of High Island...If you know where that is. I've been telling everyone here in GA, that SE Texas brackish water fishing is the best. Definately my favorite place to fish.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: CervidSlayer

Anyway, hope this helps.
I will have to try that. I love to fish the marshes also. The marshes that I fish are on the inland side, just west of High Island...If you know where that is. I've been telling everyone here in GA, that SE Texas brackish water fishing is the best. Definately my favorite place to fish.
Yes I know exactly where that is. I fish that area as well. I drive to Winnie, Texas and then down hwy124 to the intercoastal bridge and put in on the sout side of the bridge. Then I head west and fish all the marsh bayous and cuts all the way to roll over pass. Great fishing in that area and even if the wind is blowing, there are areas to fish.

BTW, do you not live here anymore?
Old 12-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Y'all are the only two in this conversation, and you're quoting each other in every post?
Old 12-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, just a habbit I guess. It does make it cluttered I see. Thanks for point that out.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Man i love preck and red. I fish in Tx city on the dollar's flats and out in the turning basin. Red,speck,flounder, its all good