Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Neck sizing vs. FL sizing (velocity) >

Neck sizing vs. FL sizing (velocity)

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Neck sizing vs. FL sizing (velocity)

Old 03-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neck sizing vs. FL sizing (velocity)

If one chooses to neck size as much as possible (like I do), the solution to possible chambering issues is to test feed and chamber every round of handloaded ammo (observing all safety rules, of course) before you take them out into the field. If they don't feed well, then one has the opportunity to correct the situation before a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is ruined because one couldn't get the bolt closed.

As for the original question, I can honestly say that I don't know, but would be very curious to find out. I almost exclusively neck-size my rifle cases. I only full length resize when necessary, and even them only enough to bump the shoulders back just enough to allow the cases to chamber easily. The few times I have FL sized I really never gave much thought to the effects FL sizing would have to velocity. This would be a very interesting question to follow up on with a little experimentation involving a chronograph and identical load workups using both FL and fireformed neck-sized brass.

When the weather gets a little warmer and I get around to sending my chronograph in to be fixed, I might just do a little experimenting to see if there really is any difference.

Mike
Old 03-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

(i.e. one grain of powder here or there or differences in primers from one to another)
one grain here or their umm yeah will throw you off lol my rifle loads i will guarentee are never more then maybe a few tenths of grain off from one another at the most 3 tenths of a grain, but 3 tenths wont show any real difference unless you are shooting at ranges like 600 to 1000 yards. load data is written assuming it will be loaded with fl sized brass, in theory neck sized brass loads will have slightly lower pressures which could noticably effect velocity. it was raining today so i didn get out to chrony those fl and ns loads today.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

(i.e. one grain of powder here or there or differences in primers from one to another)
one grain here or their umm yeah will throw you off lol
i meant to say one granule of powder, yes i know that one full grain will throw off a load, I try to measure mine to the tenth of a grain.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:32 PM
bigcountry

load data is written assuming it will be loaded with fl sized brass
Actually load data from most manufacturers are done with pressure barrel from one of more well known manufactures like Krieger or Hart. And most I see are with a high quality barrel, and a high quality chamber job (I assume). With both it would simulate a very tight fit, and would mimic a Neck sized piece of brass.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

And if there were a minute difference in velocity between neck sized and FL sized who would be crazy enough to use necksized dies in a hunting situation? Target shooting fine Hunting No
I hunt almost exclusively with neck sized brass and have never had a problem.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it depends on where you hunt .. Most hunts probably not a problem..get somewhere where there is a lot of stuff floating around and no facilities to keep your rifle spotless and it may change. I am a little concerned having a rifle built with a match chamber as it is.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:39 AM

The ONLY reason to FL size if For Shareing Ammo with Buds that have the same Cal gun, OR for Use in an AUto Loader. This way theres no chance of A round not Cycling through.

NS acconplishes two things, It Extends the life of the case 10x over, and It Makes it so your friends cant sponge off your HArd work LOL (seriousely NS rounds are More accurate)

NS is GREAT. And It Makes your Rounds more acurate. Because theres no expansion to use up the energy being released.

i NS only. Always have always will.

Harry