Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 .44 for bear protection >

.44 for bear protection

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.44 for bear protection

Old 02-25-2005, 12:26 AM

Default .44 for bear protection

I just bought a redhawk .44 mag for bear protection on the rivers up here in AK and was wondering what type and weight of bullets i should load for the grizzlys. any info will help

Thanks from Alaska,

Bud
Old 02-25-2005, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .44 for bear protection

For a grizzly id be more worried about penetration over any other factor, Id go with a heavy jacketed round nose soft point in the 300 grain range or a partition, id imagine most folks in here are gonna tell ya to go with a 300 grain cast lead bullet. any of those would be my choices for the 44 mag.

Personally if i was gonna tote grizzly repellent in the form of a handgun i might have went with a super redhawk in 454 casull or a BFR in 45-70.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Speer used to make a 300 gr JFP... the bigger and heavier, the better.

actually, as hard of a noggin as a griz has (and that's about the only sure stopper you're gonna have if you get charged) you'd be better off with a 12 gauge stoked full of Hi-Impacts
Old 02-25-2005, 06:11 AM

Buffalo Bore has a "factory" load with a Lead Bullet Tech. 403gr cast bullet pretty stoked up... I going to pick up a box for my next adventure in big bear country.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 02-25-2005, 07:36 AM
bigcountry

I have never been in this position, so I am poorly qualified as most of the replys probably will be. In other words, mostly opinion. But right off hand, I would want a Hard Cast bullet like the buffalo load. At least 300gr with H110 pushing it out.

You can't beat that penetraton. I would stay away from XTP's or even partitions. Penetration is what you want and need I would think.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:36 AM

Go with the 300 gr bullet of your choice and practice. That gun with stout loads can be a challenge to shoot accurately, and when you factor in the fear factor of a bear charge you'll be thankful you shot it a lot. Get some pepper spray too, it has a good track record with those bears.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

if that was me i'd opt for a big heavy hard cast lead with a big meplat... big meplat = big wound channel and at 44 mag velocities a 300 gr or similar bullet will provide some pretty respectable KO... Some WW296 or H110 should get you there without much fanfare
Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a 300 or hevieyer Hard cast bullet for the penatration .

Like the Federal 300 gr cast core load.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:03 PM

Default pepper spray

pepper spray.......... haha thats a good one....... i guess bears might like they're food spicy too.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
bigcountry

pepper spray.......... haha thats a good one....... i guess bears might like they're food spicy too.
Oh yea? You actually tried it and it didn't work?

Quick Reply: .44 for bear protection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.