Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Starter Reloader >

Starter Reloader

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Starter Reloader

Old 01-25-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Starter Reloader

I was thinkin of getting in the reloading scene, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best starter equipment and books. I would be reloading a .22-250 and eventually a .308 (which migth be a few years later). Any suggestion are appreciated.

thx
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Starter Reloader

I just got started with an RCBS Rock Chucker. I really like it, and the kit comes with nearly everything you need except a trimmer. The Speer reloading manual (included) was very helpful. I posted this on another topic:

http://www.shootingusa.com/SIGHTING_...reloading.html
Old 01-26-2005, 05:41 PM

I have reloaded for many years. My first equipment was RCBS and it still is. Lyman, lee most all of them make fine equipment you will ,however,
get into heated talks on which is the best. As far as reloading manuals
go I belive I have all of them with a few that stand out. Nosler, speer
and Serria I feel are amoung the best.
One thing most seasoned hand loaders will tell you do what the manuals say not what you think is right or ok.
And lastly I would say don't look at reloading as a money saving hobby
(although it is in the long run) but relize that the loads you load your self
with care will shoot and group better then factory- at least in my opion.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

3 pieces of advice I was given when I started:

first get a manual. I started with Lyman and read the how to section and get an understanding of the steps involved.

second never shoot someone elses reloads ( this one saved me big time)

third if you meet someone that claims to know it all don't walk but run from him/her

I started on a Lee single stage press and am happy with it I have upgraded to a rock chucker because the price was right . At this point and time I can't see any diference in the ammo loaded with either of them. Don't skimp on your scale IMHO that is the most important piece.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:26 PM

I would suggest one of the single-stage "kits" available. I am sure any of the major brands (RCBS, Lee, Lyman, etc) will do the job for you. I, personally, would stay away from the low-end presses like RCBS Partner or Lee Challenger. I just don't have much confidence in how sturdy they are. But the RCBS Rock Chucker is almost an industry standard and the Lee Cast model (don't remember the actual name) seems well made. I would stay away from the progressives to start out. They are great tools for cranking out large volumes, but I don't think they they are for a begginer.

If you buy your press new, it should come with a manual, but I would also get at least one reloading manual. By the way - there is a lot of load data available online, but be cautious of the source. I am a bit on the cautious side - only use data from source like Hodgdon, Speer, Lyman, etc. or at least verify against them.

Make sure you mount your press on a good, sturdy, surface. The work-bench I use is bolted to studs in the wall.

Good lighting!

At some point you may want to invest in a vibrator for cleaning your empties - I don't think the kits include anything. But, it really isn't required to get started.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:47 PM

I started out with a Lyman Orange Crush Pro kit about 15 years ago, I have since bought several other single stage presses. But have never mounted them, the only change from my original setup is a rcbs scales. I don't think you can wear any of them out if you keep them lubed and cleaned occasionally.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:54 PM

I am just starting out afresh after having all my gear stolen.
I have just got a Lee Classic Cast Press which I will use for resizing/decapping and I will get a Lee Challenger press for seating the bullet. For less than the price of the more expensive brands I won't have to keep swapping dies.
Any thoughts on my strategy?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:55 PM

I'd git me a Lee Loader jest to see if'n I was interested in the hobby. Then if I decided I wasn't I'd only be out $20. I could use the mallet somewhere's else. Come to think of it, I'll bet your could sell the loader fer ten bucks to some fella who wanted some memoriablia.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Sixgun.....I agree with Slamfire!
Old 03-06-2005, 09:40 PM

You have recieved good advice,just remember read,read,and read more. You will learn something every day. Besides its fun,but be safe and triple check everything you do at first. A mistake could be costly in many ways.Speaking of cost,it cheaper than factory ammo,and one can work up loads that you can,t buy on the market. Its a lot of fun to work up different loads. And as stated in one responce DON,T shoot anybody elses reloads. Only yours for you will kknow whats in them. Have fun,be safe and read,read, and welcome to the world of us reloading nuts. vangunsmith

Quick Reply: Starter Reloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.