Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Whats the better deer round!?!?!? >

Whats the better deer round!?!?!?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Whats the better deer round!?!?!?

Old 07-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Spike

Default Whats the better deer round!?!?!?

I was wondering how affective winchesters new 180gr accu-bond CT is when used on deer, I currently use ballistic silver tips, and the ballistics arent much different apparentely BST's damage alot of meat to. Was wondering if the accu bond still has the knock down power but holds together a little better.....if you can help me please drop a post...thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the better deer round!?!?!?

Not sure about those 180's, but in general 180 gr. bullets are on the heavy side for deer in 30 Cal. guns. Not sure what you're shooting.

Again, generally speaking, a 180 should not expand dramatically on deer. My experience (all of 2 deer, .30/06) with 180s is a small exit hole, and not much internal damage, incomparison to 150 PSP bullets.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

GorV,
Not speaking as an expert here, but as a hunter who has used alot of different bullets, I have found what Uncle said is true, if you use a 180 gr accubond on an average size deer, unless you hit something like the shoulder, this bullet will probably not open properly. From what I've read about the Accu-bond is has been designed to be used on larger game such as Elk where lighter bullets could possibly open up on tougher hides prematurely, causing less penetration. Hope this helps!!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

On deer sized game either will work fine.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:10 AM

Dick's Sporting Goods was closing out reloading components a couple years back. I bought a couple boxes of Nosler Ballistic Tip 180gr 30cal bullets and loaded them for my old M70 30-06. The only thing that I killed with those loads were whitetail deer. I hit six deer at ranges of 45yds to 275yds on a cornfield shot. Every one was anchored and dropped in place. No running away or staggering around. They just dropped. The bullet shattered in the heart/lung area, turning into several lethal projectiles, which did cause the lose of some meat. If you do not mind losing some extra meat, use the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. They are not only deadly on whitetail deer, but also, in my rifle, very accurate. I have to mention; none of the deer that I killed with those loads weighed more then 200lbs on the hoof and four of them were in the 100lb class, so don't take this as a recommendation to use this bullet on bigger deer.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would try out a 165 grain bullet in an 06..thats what I used on deer when I owned one and it worked great. I am thinking a 165 grain Interbond would work very well on deer since I don't think it's as heavily constructed as an 180 grain Accubond.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:37 AM
bigcountry

I am sure the Accubond will work just fine but at 180gr I am not sure you will get the expansion you want with that velocity. I am sure you will recover the deer, but would think it would be nice to be able to hit them a little harder.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 180 gr. Nosler AB CT's will do a fine job for you. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:41 AM

Assuming we're talking about the 30.06 class of rifle, I too would recommend the Sierra 165 BTHP Gameking. I've had no luck in any of my 30 cals with the accubond bullets.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:54 AM
bigcountry

Me niether. I can't figure it out. Everybody else loved the accubonds.

Quick Reply: Whats the better deer round!?!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.