Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Is a bonded bullet a good choice for whitetails? >

Is a bonded bullet a good choice for whitetails?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Is a bonded bullet a good choice for whitetails?

Old 04-09-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Is a bonded bullet a good choice for whitetails?

I've shot Nosler Ballistic Tips in 150 gr. out of my A-Bolt .270 Win. for several years now. They provide excellent accuracy and terminal performance on all the whitetail deer that I have used them on. No complaints there. But my curiosity has been stirred up by all the talk about bonded core bullets, mainly the Accubond and Interbond by Nosler and Hornady. I like to try something new once in awhile and have been considering working up a new load for my .270 Win. and wanting to try something in the 130 or 140 gr. bullet weights. I really like the looks of the 130 Interbond and the 140 Accubond in the .277 caliber. Both have high BC's, especially the 140 Accubond (which has the same BC as the 150 gr. Ballistic Tip which I shoot). Would you consider these better choices for whitetail deer than the Ballistic Tip's? If you were to give one of these new bonded core bullets a try in a .270 Win., which would get the nod, the Accubond or the Interbond? I look forward to your opinions. Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:20 PM
jjt

Default RE: Is a bonded bullet a good choice for whitetails?

i would give them a try

so far i have had great luck with both the accubond and the interbond

my opinion is the have the accuracy of the balistic tip with the killing power of a partition
Old 04-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

flip a coin.....but if you're happy with the 150 BT why change?.....the bonded bullets will cost more and what are you getting.....a DEADER deer?

Yes, I know the value of experimentation so have at it!!!

Other premium bullets that you might wish to experiment with:
Swift A-Frame
Swift Scirocco
Northfork
Rhino
woodleigh
Nosler partician
Barnes X
Trophy bonded bear claw
Speer Grand Slam
innerbonds
accubonds

I've probably forgotten a few but these are all bonded or "H" style or monolithic expanding solids.

They can get a tad spendy at $1 each but they do offer you a taste of the finest big game bullets a going. Some of these are even machined jackets.

I've used A-Frames on deer....not that they was needed but because I had them. The old fashioned power points and core loks and sure shocks will still do the job just fine.....as will ballistic tips, SSTs, interlocks, hot cores, and game kings.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like Vapodog said, how dead is dead. I personally don't feel the need to use anything but standard constructed bullets for WT. If I were hunting larger game I would definitely move up to partitions or one of the bonded core bullets. If your spending money for a hunt I say use the best you can so the money isn't being wasted on bullet that didn't hold up.