Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

need help

Old 12-04-2003, 12:30 PM

Default need help

I have been spending time teaching my wife and kids how to hunt since they did not grow up hunting like I did. They all seem to enjoy it.

The problem comes in is that when aiming my kids and wife can't seem to close one eye to aim. Will shooting with a scope cure this problem. They have real trouble hitting well with open sites unless I hold one eye closed for them.

thanks
Old 12-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need help

Learn to shoot with both eyes open....and a scope won't help.....

The only exceptions to this is those that are left eye dominant shooting right handed and conversely.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Stone,

You may concider making them wear a patch over thier left eye (I'm assuming they are right handed). Or take some shooting glasses and cover the oposite lens with masking tape.

2 eyes open is bad for open sights unless you are shooting a shotgun.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old 12-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Learn to shoot with both eyes open.It may take a little more practise but is is the way to go.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are more reasons to shoot with both eyes open than there are to close one eye. As long as one of them doesn't have a dominant eye problem, don't worry about it.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:17 AM

like coastie said check to see if which there dominant eye is and if its not there dominant hand so be it, teach them to shoot left hand if they are left eye dominant, in the beginning it will be worse but the long run will pay of. shooting with both eyes open is also a must do. practice pratice practice
Old 12-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been spending time teaching my wife and kids how to hunt since they did not grow up hunting like I did. They all seem to enjoy it.

The problem comes in is that when aiming my kids and wife can't seem to close one eye to aim. Will shooting with a scope cure this problem. They have real trouble hitting well with open sites unless I hold one eye closed for them.
PROBLEM?? This is NOT a problem! It is better to keep both eyes OPEN, especially when using a scope. This permits the shooter to point the scope correctly at the target immediately, avoiding having to "search" around for it! Having trouble finding the target in the scope is a beginner's biggest problem! When the eye that is looking through the scope picks up the target, the magnification of the scope "automatically" makes that view the dominant one, then the shooter can either aim and shoot with both eyes open, or can close the other eye when starting the trigger squeeze.

I think you'd be wasting a lot of time & effort trying to "correct" a shooter by teaching him/her to close an eye!!

IF they are having trouble getting a good sight picture with iron sights, it is possible that the "off" eye is the master eye, in which case they may have to learn to shoot left-handed (or right handed, if they are left handed).
Old 12-10-2003, 05:02 PM

These guys are correct. If a shooter can learn to keep both eyes open they will be able to aquire a good sight picture much more quickly. That applys to both iron sights and optical sights.