Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Nosler Partition VS Cor-Lokt Ultra PSP >

Nosler Partition VS Cor-Lokt Ultra PSP

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nosler Partition VS Cor-Lokt Ultra PSP

Old 11-18-2003, 03:43 PM

Default Nosler Partition VS Cor-Lokt Ultra PSP

Can someone give me the good and bad in both of these bullets.....I have a Remington 7mm Ultra Mag and have been shooting the Premier Ultra Mag 140 grn. Nosler Partitions....I am not too happy with the Accuracy and the damage of this bullet.....

Also, does anyone know when other companies will start producing loads.....before I start reloading I wanted to try this cartridge in Hornady.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nosler Partition VS Cor-Lokt Ultra PSP

I think only time will prove or disprove Remingtons claims about thier new Corlokt ultra. They claim however that the new bullet has a more uniform tapered jacket making them more accurate than other premium bullets. They claim expansion to 2 times the diameter. They clam 95 percent wt retention. They are a bonded core bullet. The Nosler Partition has no faults that I have ever found. Next to the Ballistic tip the Partition has the most been one of the most accurate bulleti in all the rifles that I ever used it in. If you reload I would drop the velocity back a bit as most bullets will perform better at velocity less than that of the 7mm Ultra. Either that or use the A frame bullet or even the partition gold bullet. My 250 Savage kills deer like lightning at about 2600 fps with just standard bullets.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:42 AM

I believe you will find in an ultra high velocity cartridge like yours you will get better penetration from the partition. As the front section rapidly expands and wipes off, the base will continue on to penetrate.

The bonded bullets at very high velocity form a much larger mushroom which limits the penetration.

Generally you should also get quicker kills from the partition as the front portion expands more violently to cause a greater wound channel than you will get with a bonded core bullet.

Have you given any thought to trying the Barnes Triple shock? I have been hearing good things about them. Penetration will be better than either the partition or any bonded core bullet and people have been reporting much better accuracy with them than they were getting with either the copper X or the coated XLC bullets.
With ultra high velocity like your caliber you might think about giving them a try.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, a 7-08 will do anything the 7MM untra mag will do to about 250 yards.....I' d recommend you actually USE that thing.....step up to 160-162 grain bullets and I think you' ll see a difference.

Accuracy is simply a matter of trial and error.....I highly you glass bed the action and free float the barrel.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jame B. said:
The Nosler Partition has no faults that I have ever found.
I have been using Nosler Partitions for 40 years, and absolutely agree with him! A lot of people, including Nosler even, (Accubond!!) have been " improving upon" these great bullets for several decades now, and none have succeeded in coming up with a bullet that kills things BETTER!! Nowadays, we seem to be hung up on the idea of weight retention, but no-one has proven that weight retention alone produces better killing ability. The ultimate in this regard, of course, is the solid! Yet solids are illegal for hunting purposes in most states.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:55 PM

Vapodog,

The rifle that I shoot is the Remington Scendero. This rifle I believe is already floated and glass beaded but I may be wrong.....I bought the rifle for long range shots.....I don't want to put a heavier bullet on the cartridge....and I don't want to reduce my speed......

This may be my downfall but two deer and no exit? My 7mm Rem Mag with 139 Hornady BTSP's do some serious damage and have always exited.....
Old 12-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use 140gr bullets in my 7mmstw's and have taken game from deer to elk to moose with great results.I see no need to use heavier bullets.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

A reason that you may be getting poor penetration is because of the velocity of the bullet. There is so much of a change from so much speed to flesh that the bullet has an immense amount of drag put on it and looses more weight than the same bullet shot at slower velocites where the bullet may not lose so much weight because of less of a change and penetrate better. At those speeds, any soft point bullet could have the potential to break up. Best bet would be to go to a Barnes X, or Failsafe, or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, that have all copper fronts and won't lose as much weight at those velocities.

I try to think of it like insurance crash test for cars.
Two exact cars are tested running into a brick wall at different speeds.
One is at, say, 25 MPH. The damage may be minimal and very few pieces will be left on the ground, and the front of the car won't "expand" to much and will retain most of its original weight.
The second one is at, say, 75 MPH. The car will be crushed to an unrecognizable clump of junk. Pieces will be scattered everywhere, and the car will have "expanded" more than the first, and weigh considerable less.

The bullets go through this same thing.
For example
A 7-08 and a 7 RUM. 140 gr. Sierra Kings at "standard" velocities for each. Both shot into same material at same distance. The bullet from the 7-08 will retain more weight and penetrate deeper because there is less bullet loss from the immense speed.

Does this make sense? I think the only way you are going to get better penetration is to go to a copper fronted bullet or slow down the speeds a bit with a heavier bullet.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:36 PM

I use to be "big time" into testing bullets for expansion and holding together power. I did this because i designed and made some very good bonded core bullets, and sold them from my shop.

As far as i'm concerned, the Nosler partition bullets are a hard one to beat!!! I shot two nice bucks this fall, both with Nosler P's, and they did a great job "as always"!!

For good performance on super HV 7mm's (on game) you should probably switch to 150 or 160 grain bullets, even in Nosler Partitions. No bullet is perfect, and super HV destroys even the best bullets when they hit bone, or tough muscles.